none
Phrase Search Problem

Question

• Hi guys,

I'm having some problems with the keyword phrase searching. The following two searches return drastically different results:

Spain Rain Plane

"Spain Rain Plane"

However, the following two searches return the exact same results:

"Damages Act"

Damages Act

Although that phrase doesn't actually occur in the results...

It seems as if the double quotes are being ignored.

Here is a QRServer snippet. Any ideas as to what FAST is up to in this case?

"GET /cgi-bin/search?hits=20&resubmitflags=1&qtf_parsekw:localename=en-US&query=%22damages+act%22&similartype=find&qtf_parsekw:timezone=3&collapsenum=1&qtf_lemmatize=True&version=14.0.0.0&spell=off&qtf_keyword:context=ssgid%3a%3a996ff795-e201-4b0e-a938-018102f19c1c%7c&rpf_navigation:enabled=False&offset=0&rpf_navigation:hits=100&collapseon=batvdocumentsignature&type=kwall&qtf_teaser:dynlength=185&rpf_sortsimilar:enabled=False&language=en&qtf_parsekw:locale=eng&qtf_securityfql:uid=MCMud3xlY2hyaW50ZXJuZXRcc3BodWRvY2FkbWlu HTTP/1.1" 200 2676959 "" "" 0.3900 0.0150 0.2660 9858 [(webcluster: QUERY(FQL, 10072, <xrank><xrank><xrank><xrank><rank><rank><string text="damages act"><parameter text="annotation_class"><string text="user"/></parameter><parameter text="mode"><string text="phrase"/></parameter><phrase><token text="damages"><parameter text="alt"><string text="L"/></parameter></token><token text="act"><parameter text="alt"><string text="L"/></parameter></token></phrase></string><in><scope text="/assocqueries.complete"/><token text="damagesºact"/></in></rank><in><scope text="/anchortext.complete"/><token text="damagesºact"/></in></rank>

Emir

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could it be a case of lemmatization as "damage acts" would match on phrase when you search for "damages act". Also if you have my query logger tool installed, check the "rank log" tab. If your words are too common they will be omitted even for phrases.

Example: "the company", will match documents with "a company" in them as the/a are too common and are ignored.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

Friday, June 01, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Hi Mikael,

It isn't lemmatization. I can't find any occurrences of damages and act next to each other in any form.

It looks likely to be something like this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pasen/archive/2011/04/30/how-to-increase-relevancy-of-fast-search-results-for-quot-phrase-quot-query.aspx

It seems that FAST just doesn't abide by the expected phrase search rules in the item occurs very frequently. Since the terms in the phrase I'm looking for both occur in around 1/5 of all documents in the corpus, its possible that it might exceed the stop world threshold.

I'll try increasing the threshold to see if it makes a difference.

Emir

Monday, June 04, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

Well, it appears to have nothing to do with the stopwordthreshold or lemmatization.

I've tried running the search on the QRServer for an impossible phrase "damages act act damages act damages", and it still returns results...

Here is a pertinent portion of the output:

<QUERYTRANSFORM NAME="Original query" MESSAGEID="1" MESSAGE="Original query" CUSTOM="" QUERY=""damages act act damages act"" ACTION="NOP"/> <QUERYTRANSFORM NAME="FastQT_Keyword" MESSAGEID="1" MESSAGE="Keyword processing" CUSTOM="<KeywordData />" QUERY=""damages act act damages act"" ACTION="Suggested new query" INSTANCE="keyword"/> <QUERYTRANSFORM NAME="FastQT_Lemmatizer" MESSAGEID="16" MESSAGE="Lemmatization turned off for current query" CUSTOM="No change to query" QUERY="" ACTION="nop" INSTANCE="lemmatizer"/> <QUERYTRANSFORM NAME="Final query" MESSAGEID="1" MESSAGE="Final query" CUSTOM="FQL" QUERY="xrank(xrank(xrank(xrank(string("damages act act damages act"),

The query seems to be created correctly, the default mode of the string operator is phrase. Any ideas what this might be?

I noticed this doesn't seem to be a problem when using property restriction. Is there a field with the entire fulltextindex for an entry in it that I could map a managed property to?

Emir

Friday, June 08, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

To me this seems to be regarding stop-words. The word "act" is so common it it being ignored. Which parameter did you change, and to what? If you use fs4splogger.codeplex.com, are the words given rank in the rank log tab?

I also have a post on stopwords: http://techmikael.blogspot.no/2012/04/when-numbers-are-important-to-your.html

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT

Friday, June 08, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Hi Mikael,

I'd previously tried this. This time I tried it with a massive value close to the threshold limit (around 4.2 x 10^8) and it seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help. The rank log tip was also a good idea because it makes it clear whether a word is being treated as a stop word or not.

Emir

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:50 AM
  • HI mikael,

i searching with double quotes For Ex: "sample documents". in sharepoint fast search.but the documents displaying in search results page the related  word documnts(pharse) . in this documnts displaying not matching Word(pharse) documnts also displaying..pls help this one why are displying without matching keyword documnts also

Hi,

could you rephrase the question as I'm not exactly sure what you are seeing. Are you getting non-phrase hits when searching for an exact phrase?

thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD - If you find an answer useful, please up-vote it.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi Mikael,

how to search with double quotes in fast search.  when i searching keyword with double quotes  EX: "Service Provider" . then displaying in search result page an matched keyword  documents .but in my applications displaying unmatched keyword documents also..

Monday, December 10, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

how to search with double quotes in fast search.  when i searching keyword with double quotes  EX: "Service Provider" . then displaying in search result page an matched keyword  documents .but in my applications displaying unmatched keyword documents also..

Hi ps41,

What do you mean with "my application"? Which api are you using and how do you format the search query?

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD - If you find an answer useful, please up-vote it.

Monday, December 10, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi Mikael,

in fast search i am search with some keywords with double quotes.(free text queries)in search result page displaying not matching keyword documents  also displaying .in this image first documents is not matching that keyword but displaying

• Edited by PS_L Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

Use quotation marks around search terms to find an exact phrase match. This can be especially useful when searching for text with punctuation. For example,"document assets" finds items that contain the exact text document assets A search for "service providers" finds items that contain the exact phrase service providers.... how to modifying xslt for  double quotes for  quotation marks around search terms to find an exact phrase match please tel me tips for changing xslt 

• Edited by PS_L Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:29 AM