The database selected is invalid for use as an existing database with this install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm installing a brand new SCOM 2012 SP1 management server and creating a new Management group at the same time.  This is a complete vanilla install.

Management server is:

• Windows Server 2012 Standard (full GUI)
    • Database Server is:

Windows Server 2012 Standard (full GUI)

• SQL Server 2012 SP1
    • Database instance installed
    • Full Text Search installed
    • All SQL services are started and set to automatic startup

I'm using an account that is an administrator on the SCOM Management Server and SQL server.  Its also an SQL sysadmin.

The problem I'm having is that when I reach the point in the installer where I configure the operational db I get this error when I select the database server and click next:

• "The database selected is invalid for use as an existing database with this install"

I'm not using an existing database, and no database of the default name (OperationsManager) exists on the SQL server.  If I point the installer at another SQL 2012 SP1 server I get the same error.  If I point the installer at an SQL 2008 R2 SP2 server I don't get the error message.

To all intents and purposes this looks like either a bug, or that SQL 2012 SP1 isn't supported, though the SCOM TechNet documentation states that it is.

With SCOM 2007 I'd have pre-created the db using the support tools, however that's not available in SCOM 2012.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:38 AM

Answers

• The default installation of Ops Mgr 2012 on Windows 2008 R2 Logs are located in the :c:\users\<UserName>\Appdata\Local\SCOM\Logs , and and in this location we can find the following log files:

- OpsMgrSetupWizard.log: Reports activity and progress of setup wizard.

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:29 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:44 AM

All replies

• SCOM 2012 SP1 Support to be installed on SQL Server 2012 SP1

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656654.aspx

Can you Post the installation log found here "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp"

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for helping.

There isn't a log in that location.  I'm not sure but I assumed the installation log was only generated when setup attempts to install my settings rather than when I'm configuring setup with my settings.  I'm being prevented from stepping beyond Operational Database configuration with the error.

Thanks,

Tim

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:21 AM
  • The default installation of Ops Mgr 2012 on Windows 2008 R2 Logs are located in the :c:\users\<UserName>\Appdata\Local\SCOM\Logs , and and in this location we can find the following log files:

- OpsMgrSetupWizard.log: Reports activity and progress of setup wizard.

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:29 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:44 AM
  • That location doesn't exist.

C:\users\<username>\Appdata\Local\ does exist, however the .\SCOM\Logs\ doesn't.  There isn't a log file in .\local\ or in .\local\temp\

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:48 AM
  • I wasn't looking properly.  Realised I was looking for .\temp\scom\ rather than .\scom\

This is the illuminating part of the log:

"Exception.Message: The user does not have permission to perform this action."

It turns out I'm not a sysadmin on the SQL server!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:29 PM