Context Menu 'NEW' missing from desktop, Win7 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• the right click Context Menu 'NEW' and all its sub-menus are missing.

OS is Win7 Ultimate 64bit.

I have looked at all five related threads presented and they do not answer this problem.  

Any suggestions? I am using the admin account to attempt to troubleshoot this problem.

• Edited by Elster99 Monday, January 27, 2014 9:16 AM
    Monday, January 27, 2014 9:11 AM

Answers

• Maybe this will help when someone else runs into the same problem.

The solution I found is:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Go to Key; HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
    3. If there is no subfolder named NEW then we are talking about the same problem and are in the right place.
    4. Mouse over and Highlight [ContextMenuHandlers], right-click and select 'New -> Key': and name it "NEW
    5. Mouse over and click on "NEW" to enter this folder
    6. In the right Pane mouse over  'default' and right-click, select 'Modify...'
    7. Type in " {D969A300-E7FF-11D0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} "
    This key value/name, if you search the registry, directs to: -> InProcServer32  -> %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

And viola, the context menu is repaired.

• Marked as answer by Elster99 Monday, January 27, 2014 6:58 PM
    • Edited by Elster99 Monday, January 27, 2014 7:15 PM bad grammer on a sentence
    Monday, January 27, 2014 6:58 PM

All replies

• Maybe this will help when someone else runs into the same problem.

The solution I found is:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Go to Key; HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\
    3. If there is no subfolder named NEW then we are talking about the same problem and are in the right place.
    4. Mouse over and Highlight [ContextMenuHandlers], right-click and select 'New -> Key': and name it "NEW
    5. Mouse over and click on "NEW" to enter this folder
    6. In the right Pane mouse over  'default' and right-click, select 'Modify...'
    7. Type in " {D969A300-E7FF-11D0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} "
    This key value/name, if you search the registry, directs to: -> InProcServer32  -> %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll

And viola, the context menu is repaired.

• Marked as answer by Elster99 Monday, January 27, 2014 6:58 PM
    • Edited by Elster99 Monday, January 27, 2014 7:15 PM bad grammer on a sentence
    Monday, January 27, 2014 6:58 PM
  • Glad to hear it is solved, thanks for sharing your solution and experience here.

Regards

Yolanda
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:20 AM
  • hi, i have a similar problem, when i right click, at "new" i have for options just new folder. i can't do anymore word, excel, powerpoint, notepad, madtcad etc files.

i tried your metod and doesn't work. what should i do?

Thursday, November 27, 2014 8:01 PM