none
Recover Active Directory

Question

• Hi Experyts

I have only the ntds.dit database backup only.
    is there is a anyway to recover active directory ? is it possible? if yes then how.

Need help form experts.

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:02 AM

Answers

• How it is possible from databases file to recover the domain controller >>> Sorry but if you don't have any additional domain controller or a successful backup,no way.

That's why always recommneded at least 2 DC configured on domain.(with ADDS,DNS,GC role) and also have new and successfull backup.(you should create a backup plan.)

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by NajeebUllah Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:38 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can't restore AD from ntds,you need to restore from a full & system state backup.But you can try to repair AD if it can,check the article;

http://www.dell.com/support/article/tr/tr/trbsdt1/SLN289101

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Monday, December 19, 2016 11:23 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Burak is right.

Its not possible to restore the AD only using NTDS.DIT as, the system state backup contain some important elements which are tightly integrated with the Active directory, Like Sysvol and registry.

Carlo

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Monday, December 19, 2016 11:24 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for your quick reply,

I have only one domain controller and that domain is destroy and i have no additional domain controller to recover the domain and no system backup ,i have just the databases files of the domain controller.

How it is possible from databases file to recover the domain controller.

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:39 AM
  • How it is possible from databases file to recover the domain controller >>> Sorry but if you don't have any additional domain controller or a successful backup,no way.

That's why always recommneded at least 2 DC configured on domain.(with ADDS,DNS,GC role) and also have new and successfull backup.(you should create a backup plan.)

• Marked as answer by NajeebUllah Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:38 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 12:53 PM