none
Windows 8.1 Update error - Code # 80244019 RRS feed

• Question

• I normally set my update settings to check automatic and notify me if any updates. A few weeks had passed and I suddenly realized I hadn't had any updates, so I went in and checked manually. When I click check for updates the status bar moves for about 5-25 seconds and then displays an error. There was a problem checking for updates - Errors Found - Code 80244019. When I did a search for this error code, all of the answers were referring to Vista. I am running Windows 8.1, and this computer has never had Vista installed. If anyone has any answers I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank-You

• Edited by zbrufan813 Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:02 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:02 AM

Answers

• OK, found my issue.  In Windows Update Settings, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products " and my Windows updates worked.  I did all of my updates (which required a couple of reboots), and then checked that box and the "80244019" error came back.  I suspect the Microsoft CRM add-on for Outlook, or something like that but I don't have time to play with it, so I am just leaving that check box unmarked.  Hope that helps someone out there.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try this method: Turn on Data Execution Prevention.

Follow the steps to turn on Data Execution Protection:

a. Click on This PC and right click on free space and click Properties.

b. Click on the Advanced system settings and then click on Advanced tab.

c. Click on Settings under Performance.

d. Click on Data Execution Prevention.

e. Click on Turn on DEP for Essential Windows Programs and Services only.

i. Click on Apply. Click on OK twice. 

j. Restart computer and check.

Reference:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/windows-update-error-code-80244019/e0d348b6-3d50-4a98-857b-dce9d395222b?page=1

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 3, 2015 2:35 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I have tried this fix already and still doesn't work.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:00 PM
  • Same for me.  All of a sudden, 80244019.  Rapidly getting frustrated at the lack of answers anywhere.
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:29 AM
  • Same story George. In addition to the steps you describe I booted to safe mode and ran the MS Safety Scanner and Malicious S/W scan (they look like they are the same). I also ran my regular virus scan in safe mode. System was clean as a whistle.

I also tried the Microsoft Automatic Troubleshooter and received the error that is was not compatible with my system.

Several tip, none of them work. No tips whatsoever on the web for Windows 8.1. This is also blocking my Windows 10 upgrade.

• Edited by Mickeyess Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Me too!! Argh!! I'm gonna run a full scan overnight (MB Enterprise Edition)....

1) We use Malwarebytes EE *with* 8.1 Pro's built-in Win Defender ....

2) We're using 8.1 Pro.

Thanks !!

Friday, August 14, 2015 9:06 PM
  • Same with my Windows 8.1 getting error code 80244019 I've followed the steps above and it's still not working.  Windows 10 Upgrade was downloading when the first error message popped up on Aug. 5/2015.  Since that date I'm unable to receive any update from windows.   Please Windows techs solve this problem A.S.A.P

Sunday, August 16, 2015 5:09 PM
  • Same story George. In addition to the steps you describe I booted to safe mode and ran the MS Safety Scanner and Malicious S/W scan (they look like they are the same). I also ran my regular virus scan in safe mode. System was clean as a whistle.

I also tried the Microsoft Automatic Troubleshooter and received the error that is was not compatible with my system.

Several tip, none of them work. No tips whatsoever on the web for Windows 8.1. This is also blocking my Windows 10 upgrade.

Well, I was able to run the Fixit, and running 3 times it still finds the same things to repair each time.  I did find one non-critical mal-ware on my first MalwareBytes scan, but 3 more ran clean, as well as a safe boot virus/mal scan & Boot-time virus scan by Avast.  This showed up for me the DAY my win10 upgrade became available, and has been preventing its download (and anything else) since then.  Oh, I've trying the DE block, the Win 8 fixit (finds the same thing and fixes it over and over, and after each fix it takes some time to get blocked, then immediately blocks instantly & repeatedly until I "fix" it again).
    Monday, August 17, 2015 2:36 PM
  • I too have the same problem.  Does anyone have an update for this issue?

thx

Jeff

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:27 PM
  • OK, found my issue.  In Windows Update Settings, I unchecked "Give me updates for other Microsoft products " and my Windows updates worked.  I did all of my updates (which required a couple of reboots), and then checked that box and the "80244019" error came back.  I suspect the Microsoft CRM add-on for Outlook, or something like that but I don't have time to play with it, so I am just leaving that check box unmarked.  Hope that helps someone out there.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:49 PM
  • This seems to work for me too.   At least I got past the error and it is about to download updates.  Thank you very much!
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Did you try unchecking "Give me updates for other Microsoft products "?  Look under 'change settings' on the check for updates screen.  It worked for me.   (see  above)

Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Thanks Jeff. This fixed my problem as well. I also tried all of the variations for the options and yours was the only one that worked. Now I will restart - after the 25 updates for Windows that I just got - and check the  "Give me updates for other Microsoft products " because I have the entire Office Pro suite plus Project and Visio.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mick

I restarted, found that the  "Give me updates for other Microsoft products " checkbox had been checked by Windows. Tried to get my Microsoft app updates and now get the same error, 80244019. :-( Guess I'll continue working on this to get my app updates. Windows 10 is now downloading.

Mick

• Edited by Mickeyess Friday, August 28, 2015 7:27 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Interesting situation.  I had to replace a HDD for a customer.  Windows 8.1 installed and activated OK  (it's an OEM HP Pavilion PC).  Starting Windows Updates gave me the 80244019 error.  Searching brought me here and in checking out your solution I found the box to get updates for other products unchecked.  Just for the heck of it, I checked it.  After that, Windows found 156 updates and started downloading and installing them.  This was an absolutely clean install of 8.1 from a Microsoft downloaded ISO.  There are no other MS products installed.

Not sure what the significance is, but it's working.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:11 PM
  • I received the same code. I have 8.1 and had just installed Office 2016. After installing, I checked for updates and received the 80244019 code. The moment I unchecked "Check other Microsoft products..." it went away and ran fine.
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Hi mate,

DEP by default is on. you don't need to turn it on.

Regards,

Monday, December 14, 2015 12:32 AM
  • My DEP was already on but I turned it off, then back on and my error went away.

MBH

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:17 PM
  • I get this error if I turn off updates in office 2016 Outlook.

I have the exact same problem????? Way to go MS!

Friday, August 12, 2016 4:59 PM
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXdUo5dCrxE

Sunday, January 1, 2017 8:56 PM
  • Hello,

Just received this error code during a manual update and followed this procedure to run updates without receiving the error:

1a: press Windows key on the keyboard, type "System", press "Enter" key

or

1b: right-click Windows icon and select "System"

2: in the left pane, click on "System protection"

3: click the "Advanced" tab

4: click "Settings"

5: click the "Data Execution Prevention" tab

6: click the radio button for "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:", without adding any programs

7: click "Apply"

8: click "OK"

9: restart PC

Saturday, March 4, 2017 4:39 PM
  • The david_gillette solution worked for me with one added step (see step 6a):

"Just received this error code during a manual update and followed this procedure to run updates without receiving the error:

1a: press Windows key on the keyboard, type "System", press "Enter" key

or

1b: right-click Windows icon and select "System"

2: in the left pane, click on "System protection"

3: click the "Advanced" tab

4: click "Settings"

5: click the "Data Execution Prevention" tab

6: click the radio button for "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:", without adding any programs

6a.  Under "Disk Space Usage" set "Max Usage" to about 10% (More is better if you have the disk space)

7: click "Apply"

8: click "OK"

9: restart PC

Credit goes to David Gillette and George Zhao - well deserved!

Tim Quinn Sr. MCA, N+, A+, Cisco CNA

Friday, June 16, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Oops!  Left out another step!   Back at the System Properties window, Create a restore point.  I believe this is what causes the 80244019 error.
    Friday, June 16, 2017 6:10 PM
  • If you are checking updates through windows 8.1 settings, I think that's the problem , I checked updates through control panel and it works fine now
    Saturday, July 29, 2017 2:41 AM