PPS 2010 - include/ exclude KPI's from a Scorecard & Dashboard based on a filter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 8 individual KPI's imported from SSAS. These are included on to a PPS Scorecard and ultimately a PPS Dashboard. I am having real trouble getting these filtered. In short the users must select between the KPI's they want to show on the Dashboard by using some kind of filter. This can be achieved in a rudementary way by using Value Filtering once the Dashboardis rendered in SharePoint. But using Value Filtering is no good as it does not retain the dimension drill down hierarchy that has been included into the KPI, nor can it be saved as a user default (using the Apply Filters Button option)!

Imagine a Scorecard with the following 2 KPI's and their dimension drill down structure:

------------------------

-This is KPI1         21.33%          

-South Africa       21.33%

Johannesburg   14%
       Durban              30%
       Pretoria             20%

------------------------

-This is KPI2         48.33%

-South Africa       48.33%

Johannesburg   25%
       Durban              85%
       Pretoria             35%

------------------------

These KPIs are individually defined in SSAS. The user might want to Select only [This is KPI1] or [This is KPI2] both, and I cannot find ANY way to achieve this.

I creating an MDX filter over a dimension that happens to contain the values [This is KPI1] and [This is KPI2], but the options I am presented with when trying to link it to my scorecard in the 'connect to' field are:

Axis
     Page
     Row
     T1formula
     Current date-time

Row hierarchies
     /This is KPI1/All
     /This is KPI2/All
     etc.

None of these work when added to the filter.

I have even created a custom property for each KPI with a value that will match the value sent by the MDX filter, such as [This is KPI1], but this custom property is not an option in the 'connect to' field

There seem to be VERY little online regarding this type of filtering.

Please help

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:28 AM

Answers

• Usually we do not get to filter KPI's dynamically since KPI are grouped under one scorecard which provides a meaning to the dashboard. There is an option to dynamically filter rows under an Objective KPI; if you link your scorecard with filter on Rows.

I would suggest you try out the first option of creating separate dashboard pages with one scorecard on each page. This would allow you to retain the linking of other PPS content with your KPIs.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• As far as I know dynamic KPI filtering is not supported by PPS, as of yet. As an alternate:

Create 2 scorecards for each KPI on 2 dashboards pages, name the pages like  [This is KPI1] and [This is KPI2]  you would have the same result as you can expect from a filter.

OR you can try creating 2 analytical reports representing the same data presentation, stack them and use stack selector to switch views.

OR Create SSRS reports, but for this you would need to implement your own drill down.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Hi Umar,

I started this journey with an SSRS report that could be filtered in the required way. I switched to Scorecards because I could not find a way whereby clicking on the KPI label (in the SSRS report row) such as [This is KPI1] controlled the other PPS objects. In other words having the rows in SSRS drives the filtering of the other PPS content (such as analytical reports). That was possible using KPI's and scorecards so I settled on the scorecards, not realising that dynamic KPI filtering is not supported! It seems like such a fundamental thing that was left out?

Ill investigate using analytical reports as an alternative.

Thank you

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Usually we do not get to filter KPI's dynamically since KPI are grouped under one scorecard which provides a meaning to the dashboard. There is an option to dynamically filter rows under an Objective KPI; if you link your scorecard with filter on Rows.

I would suggest you try out the first option of creating separate dashboard pages with one scorecard on each page. This would allow you to retain the linking of other PPS content with your KPIs.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:57 PM
  •   You could create two sets of Scorecards and analytic charts on the page (a set for KPI 1 and a set for KPI 2).  You don't have to create two phyical versions of the Analytics charts unless they are displaying different measures, just add them to the zone twice.  Put each type of chart in a stacked zone: i.e. zone 1 has KPI 1 and KPI 2. Zone 2 has Analytic chart 1 and Analytic Chart 2).  Zone 3, 4, 5 etc.. contain additional sets of analytic charts as necessary.  Create value filter connections between KPI 1 and all charts it controls, KPI 2 and all charts it controls et... .  If you'vr reused the same analytic chart in a zone, be consistent in your connections, KPI1 tied to top chart in the zone, KPI2 tied to bottom chart in the zone, etc... .

Add a filter to the top of the page driven by a sharepoint list.  Values are "KPI 1" and "KPI 2".  Add display condition based on display value (KPI 1 or KPI 2) from this filter to all items that should be visible when KPI 1 is selected.  Add another display connection to all items that should be visible when KPI 2 is selected.

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:40 PM