none
Unexpected tape detected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I keep getting an error message during a tape backup saying,

The following alert occurred at 2/2/2011 10:11:54 PM.

Description: Backup to tape failed.
    Unexpected tape detected in Drive LTO Tape drive (1012002F76) in Tape Library Spectra Logic Medium Changer

I don't understand why the tape would be unexpected? I am running Data Protection Manager 2010 with the rollup. Does anyone have any ideas?

Best wishes

Michael

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:29 PM

Answers

• I opened a DPM V-Next bug to get the message fixed.  If you continue to get the errors after erasing and inventorying all tapes, then please open a support incident with MS product support to investigate further.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:00 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Are the daily detailed inventory jobs running - the default is 9:00am every day ?

If you change media in the tape library after the inventory but before the backups, then make sure any new tapes are erased and another detailed inventory is performed.

To chage the full inventory start time use the following power shell command, you may want to schedule it 30 minutes before the tape backup jobs start.

set-MaintenanceJobStartTime -dpmservername dpm_server_name libraryinventory -starttime 6:00PM

Short Erase
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634195.aspx

When a user erases a tape, by default, DPM will do a long erase on that tape.  DPM 2010 has introduced the ability to do a short erase now.  Simply navigate to the following registry location and add the DWORD key with the default value:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    REG_DWORD:UseShortErase:0x0

Setting to 0(zero) will cause DPM to use a short erase.  In order to set it back to using the long erase, simply delete the key.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I had already changed the inventory time to 5.30pm and the backups go off at 8pm. We change the tapes in the morning. I looked in my library this morning and it has two unrecognised tapes in the library. Would that trigger it off. It would be handy if Data Protection Manager would tell me the bar code of the tape it was complaining about.

Best wishes

Michael

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I agree the message needs to include the barcode, or tape label, or the slot from which the offending tape came from.  I can open a bug to get that fixed, in the meantime, fix the two unrecognized tapes so they are seen as free if that is what they should be.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:39 PM
  • I opened a DPM V-Next bug to get the message fixed.  If you continue to get the errors after erasing and inventorying all tapes, then please open a support incident with MS product support to investigate further.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Hallo Mike,

i have this issue also. Any news from DPM-Team? How to fix it in DPM2010?

I have Backups to Tape running 20 Hour/Day and one Inventory per Day ist obviosly not enough to fix it.

Max

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can use dpmtapeutil.ps1 to schedule more tape inventory jobs.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/07/09/the-search-for-dpm-tape-utilities-stops-here.aspx

example: Schedule inventory starting at 12:00 noon and repeat every 4 hours.

.\dpmtapeutil.ps1 -batch -inventory -schedule “ENABLED|HOURLY|4|12:00” -override

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 2, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Hi Mike,
    what kind of Inventory is that? fast or detailed?
    Best wishes

Max

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to the Documentation - This switch triggers detailed inventory jobs on selected tapes. By default this function runs only on selected tapes with status “Unknown” but the “-Override” switch can be used to run a detailed inventory on tapes with data.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 12, 2012 3:40 PM