none
Cannot Save Bitlocker Recovery Key to Microsoft Account RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new Surface Pro with Windows 10.  I am attempting to enable BitLocker.

From the Control Panel / Manage Bitlocker, I click "Turn on BitLocker".

I am given a question, "How do you want to backup your recovery key?" and I choose, "Save to your Microsoft account."

I am greeted with a popup, "Bitlocker Drive Encryption error.  Can't sign in to your Microsoft account.  You need to be signed in to Windows with a Microsoft account to save your recovery key.  Sign out and hen sign in with a Microsoft account, or go to Settings and choose Accounts to change your existing account."

I am signed in, but I went through these steps again, but I am unable to save my recovery key to my Microsoft account.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:36 AM

All replies

• Is this still possible at all? A german IT magazine ("IX") discovered, that the data was flying through the internet in unencrypted form, maybe MS has stopped it at all.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Try the following steps to check the result:

1. Run command prompt with Admin right

2. You need to get the volume ID by "mountvol" \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx}\

3. Run "bitlockerwizardelev.exe" as below

"%SystemRoot%\System32\BitLockerWizardElev.exe" \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx}\ Y

4. It will prompt the same GUI with admin and it works to save the key to MS Account.

If still no use, encrypt your drive first (first time just save recovery key to a file). After encryption, back up the recovery key to your Microsoft Account, you can view your recovery keys at: https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:46 AM