Why can't I remove English United State International Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 10 PC in Japan and I have English (United States), English (United Kingdom), and 日本語 keyboards selected. (US because my keyboard is US layout, UK because I'm Scottish (there's no 'Scottish' option available) and I'm used to spelling words the British way, and 日本語 because I live in Japan.)

However, in the language bar, I get an 'English United States International Keyboard' option, which, when selected, allows me to insert vowels with accents, graphs, umlauts, etc.  I never need these, but Windows 10 seems to default to the international keyboard, ALL THE TIME!  This is very frustrating.

Under Language Preferences -> Setting -> Language the 'international keyboard' doesn't even show as an option, so I can't disable it.

How do I disable this unwanted 'feature'?

-John

PS When is Microsoft going to establish a policy of 'let the customer decide' instead of 'let's do what we think the customer wants'?

Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:44 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean by 'Language Preferences -> Setting -> Language'...

Under Settings > Time & Language > Language, selecting an installed language should present you with an Options button:

CLicking that should present you with the option to add/remove keyboards. Selecitng US-International should preset you with a Remove button:

Keith

Saturday, July 13, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Actually, the solution is quite simple and requires no registry editing!

Go to to Region and Language (previously named Language preferences), click on English (United States) and go to Options.

If you see "US Keyboard" there, remove it, and you're done.

HOWEVER, if you do not see it there, then click on Add a keyboard, add "US keyboard", then remove that keyboard and you're done.

If still no help, navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload.

You will find there the list of keyboards that are preloaded at boot. Find the added keyboard layouts by their identifiers from the list of Keyboard Identifiers, and delete them.

Keyboard Identifiers

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-language-pack-default-values

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:03 AM