Visual C++ 2008 redistributable version issue RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

We are tweaking our builds to ensure many of the CM2012 client pre-reqs already exist.

We put on Silverlight v5 (required for SP1) and the latest version of VC++ redist 2005 and 2008.

When we installed the CM2012 client the results were as follows:

It left Silverlight alone (it normally tries to install v4)

It left VC++ 2005 alone even though it was a later version (a good thing!).

However it installed its own version of VC++ redist 2008 (9.0.30729.4148) even though we had a later version(9.0.30729.6161) already installed .

The logfile shows it does a GUID check on its own version which obviously doesnt match the latest version.

Unless there is a deliberate backward compatibility issue, I suspect that this is a client install bug.

Yes this issue does matter to us.....

Cheers

David Z

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:32 PM

All replies

• Greetings,

We are tweaking our builds to ensure many of the CM2012 client pre-reqs already exist.

We put on Silverlight v5 (required for SP1) and the latest version of VC++ redist 2005 and 2008.

When we installed the CM2012 client the results were as follows:

It left Silverlight alone (it normally tries to install v4)

It left VC++ 2005 alone even though it was a later version (a good thing!).

However it installed its own version of VC++ redist 2008 (9.0.30729.4148) even though we had a later version(9.0.30729.6161) already installed .

The logfile shows it does a GUID check on its own version which obviously doesnt match the latest version.

Unless there is a deliberate backward compatibility issue, I suspect that this is a client install bug.

Yes this issue does matter to us.....

Cheers

David Z

Take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682042.aspx This version is a required prerequisite. I'm not sure whether or not the newer runtime a backwards compatible to support what ConfigMgr client needs, but I believe this is normal for the install to install this version if not installed and not a bug.

• The System Center 2012 Configuration Manager client has some potential external dependencies. These dependencies depend on the operating system and the installed software on the client computer.
    • If these dependencies are required to complete the installation of the client, they are automatically installed with the client software.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable version 9.0.30729.4148

Required to support client operations.

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resovled your issue

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Your best bet is to contact CSS on this one if its causing you an issue. I'm sure the behavior that you've identified is as designed but that my be a design flaw.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:17 PM
  • I thought the "Connect" site for feedback and potential bugs could be used but I raised it there and they said they dont deal with RTM.
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Correct. You'll need to contact CSS for bugs.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:37 AM
  • However it installed its own version of VC++ redist 2008 (9.0.30729.4148) even though we had a later version(9.0.30729.6161) already installed .

Hy, interesting that you posted this, as we noticed the same behaviour on our systems, but by a different approach:

we added both redistributable versions (.4148 and .6161) as applications to sccm, and created a supersedence (.6161 should replace .4148). even though .4148 was correctly removed from our sccm servers, after some time they suddenly reappeared. i am guessing sccm is reinstalling them automatically for some reason?

i'd be interested to know if this behaviour can be changed somehow.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:26 PM