Windows Modules Installer - Error 1450 Insufficient System Resources RRS feed

• Question

• I've run into a major problem with the release of Windows 7 Enterprise.  It seems that somewhere along the line after installing my applications, the Windows Modules Installation Service has decided to stop working.

When trying to start the service through Services Management I get the following:  "Windows could not start the Windows Modules Installer service on Local Computer.  Error 1450: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."

This means that Windows Update doesn't find updates, sysprep fails, and I get a blank list for "Turn Windows features on or off".

Can anyone help?

(update: After testing with some clean installs of Windows 7 Enterprise, it looks like the problem happens after installing ArcGIS Arcinfo Workstation 9.3.  Uninstalling did not fix it.)

trelf

• Edited by trelf Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:56 PM
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, August 24, 2009 5:57 AM Focus (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:39 AM

Answers

• I can't take credit for this, so big thanks to Jim Tochterman!

Resolution -

1) If you are receiving the "Low Registry Space" error, set the Registry Size Limit to "unlimited":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
    Key: RegistrySizeLimit
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

2) Reboot

3) As a Administrator open a Command Prompt and run "SFC /SCANNOW". The command should complete successfully and if any errors were found, they should be corrected.

This was posted on the ESRI forums, from someone who noticed that Visual Studio 2008 was related to the error. Personally I'm not sure if it was VS, or just installing the .net framework. Here's the link for more chatter on the topic... http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1148&t=287391

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 28, 2009 3:19 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:37 PM

All replies

• Trelf, 

I have this problem as well.  It occured for me after installing ArcGIS Server 9.3 however.  It's a little disconcerting as this problem did not exist when installed the same version of ArcGIS software on the Windows 7 Release Candidate.  I am not going to install ArcGIS Server, I will install the 9.3.1 update to see if it will correct the problem.  I will post an update here if it does...

Jim
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:37 PM
  • I too run ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 on Windows 7 and had this problem with win7 RC as well as the RTM version. After many re-installs of the OS, I have found the Windows Modules Installer service breaks prior to installing any ESRI software. It seems that after some Windows Updates are run, the Modules Installer service breaks after the machine is re-booted. The error is 1450.

Everysolution I found online does not work.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I can't take credit for this, so big thanks to Jim Tochterman!

Resolution -

1) If you are receiving the "Low Registry Space" error, set the Registry Size Limit to "unlimited":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
    Key: RegistrySizeLimit
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

2) Reboot

3) As a Administrator open a Command Prompt and run "SFC /SCANNOW". The command should complete successfully and if any errors were found, they should be corrected.

This was posted on the ESRI forums, from someone who noticed that Visual Studio 2008 was related to the error. Personally I'm not sure if it was VS, or just installing the .net framework. Here's the link for more chatter on the topic... http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1148&t=287391

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, September 28, 2009 3:19 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Excellent find, stauaj!  I followed the link to the ESRI forums and did the test steps recommended by Jim T and was able to duplicate his findings.  Did the registry change, rebooted, and sure enough the Modules Installer service is now starting and stopping normally.

I'm not totally sure why there is a RegistrySizeLimit to begin with, probably a security measure, but when building this Windows 7 system I did install a good number of large apps, including the ArcGIS, all of which dump a lot of entries into the system registry, so it's no suprise now that my registry size became overloaded.

Thanks for the help 
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Trelf/Stauaj,

Glad to hear that solution worked for you!  It was such a pain to figure out... what made it so much more frustrating was the fact that the Release Candidate was so rock solid.  Anyway, glad to see folks are getting some use out of my solution.  If anyone else looks for the main posting for the fix, you can also find it at the following URL -> http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=1148&t=287391&m=902480#902480 

Thanks,
    Jim
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:01 AM
  • i used windows 7 tuning, hope this was the one that corrupted windows  7  rc , any ideas
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:29 PM
  • the update is not applicable to your computer
    MOHAMMED
    • Proposed as answer by TM-naiman Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:24 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:29 AM
  • I have the same problem but JUST installing network drivers. 2001 Error event ID 1450. I did what you say with the registration did not work. My operating system is Windows Vista Bussiness.
    Can you help?

Gonzalo
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I would really like to buy Jim Tochterman a beer . . . this is a headache that many people have had with the installation of VS2010 as well. Excellent solution.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:31 PM
  • I would really like to buy Jim Tochterman a beer . . . this is a headache that many people have had with the installation of VS2010 as well. Excellent solution.

I'd buy him a case (if I could only afford one)

Helped my problem as well: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8d4ebdf4-9f69-4505-a7e2-0f2e1c6debb8

Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Tanks for the information. I had the same problem. I chnage the registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\RegistrySizeLimit to 0xffffff and the problem finished. Now I can use windows update and turn on or offf windows features

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:45 PM
  • You da man, Jim!
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Thanks stauaj,

The registry fix worked for me. (Should be 8 Fs though, I actually set mine to 7FFFFFFF to be safe.)

Can't wait to see what my 64-bit system at home is set to.

Dan Randolph

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:25 PM
  • Excellent! Same here - ArcGIS was involved but i didnt link it to the problem. Got a variety of Windows update errors - most recently Windows Update Error 80080005 but this has fixed it.. thanks Jim and all who took time to post and follow up. 
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Thanks for the solution, it fixed my VD with Arcgis 9.3 on it.

Had the following problems :

• Blank Screen at Add/Remove Windows Features
    • Windows Update stopped working (error 80080005)
    • Couldn't run SFC /SCANNOW

After editting the RegistrySizeLimit everything works like a charm.

Regards

Misha

• Proposed as answer by Zw0LsDaLe Monday, February 5, 2018 9:00 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 2:23 PM
  • i hope this gets posted to the thread - if not i apologize, this is my first post on here.

Let me just say this - i've been a Microsoft guy for like... over 20 years now, but I have to say this year this whole platform has really seemed to fall apart for me on so many levels, and when i have the best equipment money can buy its a bit of a let down to say the least.

Short version is - i tried the above and it didn't work, and i'm getting this Windows Modules Installer constantly trying to run and its failing repeatedly for no known reason... i suspect maybe tied to my backups which are microsoft windows based as well.

This fix above DID NOT work for me unfortunately - i set the limit, did the reboot and still can't run SFC /SCANNOW - it fails with same error and still having the same errors in the System Log - its 7036 and 7023 alternating one after the other nonstop it appears, every 30 seconds.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    cnorton3

PS: just to note, i DO NOT have ArcGIS installed / funny enough i do know what the software is but i do not (and never have) used/installed it.
    • Edited by cnorton3 Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I see this is back from 2009. In  my version of Windows 7 Pro there is no RegistrySizeLimit anywhere in the registry.I still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?

Sunday, June 8, 2014 1:34 AM