none
MDT Failure (5210): ValidateDeployRootWithRecovery: Cancel

Question

• Hello,

We are deploying Windows 7 Professional images and are using Windows Server 2003 R2 using MDT.  We have one deployment share but that is giving us some problems when we upload new images.  So we decided to just start from scratch and create a new deployment share.  While testing the new one out, we get the following error at the end of the deployment: MDT Failure (5210): ValidateDeployRootWithRecovery: Cancel.

The old deployment share deploys images without this message.  The new share is located in the same location with the same permissions so I know it is not a permissions error.  I have also copied over the same WIM files that were working in the old share to the new, and copied the TS.xml files over too to assure the task sequence is the same.  That had failed too.  I believe it is some setting when I created the new deployment share.  I have checked the bootstrap.ini file and the Network (UNC) path in the properties of the deployment, and both point to the correct location.  I can't think of anything else.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

Ohh.  Here is some lines from the BDD.log from a deployed image from C:\Windows\Temp\DeploymentLogs.  If I didnt post enough, I can add more.  It's fairly long.

<![LOG[FAILURE ( 5210 ): ValidateDeployRootWithRecovery: Cancel]LOG]!><time="09:13:26.000+000" date="02-12-2013" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 5 minutes (process ID 1544)]LOG]!><time="11:42:00.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 10 minutes (process ID 1544)]LOG]!><time="11:47:00.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[ZTI Heartbeat: command has been running for 15 minutes (process ID 1544)]LOG]!><time="11:52:00.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Return code from command = 0]LOG]!><time="11:52:30.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Setup completed successfully.]LOG]!><time="11:52:30.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[LTIApply processing completed successfully.]LOG]!><time="11:52:30.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="LTIApply" context="" type="1" thread="" file="LTIApply">
    <![LOG[Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 6.0.2223.0]LOG]!><time="11:52:31.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="ZTINextPhase" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTINextPhase">
    <![LOG[The task sequencer log is located at X:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\SMSTS.LOG.  For task sequence failures, please consult this log.]LOG]!><time="11:52:31.000+000" date="02-22-2013" component="ZTINextPhase" context="" type="1" thread="" file="ZTINextPhase">

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:56 PM

All replies

• This failure looks to be more of a hey we didn't have connection to the deployment share for a second and we did some error handling to get connected again. 4 Lines down it indicates that the LTIApply was successful.  This seems like successful error handling.  You might not have had an IP address yet or maybe the share didn't respond quickly enough for some reason. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Is there a way to delay the step where it tries to connect to the share until it has an ip? 

What is weird is that the old deployment share does not have any issues and I even tried using the same TS.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Anyone else have any ideas?  I am thinking it might even just be a temporary disconnect where it cannot connect to the deployment share, throws an error, and connects again. 

Is there a way to see if the TS actually completed after it could not connect temporarily?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:34 PM
  • MDT creates logs of the install.  If it doesn't immediately fail then it is probably just soldiering on and is fine.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:56 PM
  • I had this problem on a laptop. I disabled the wireless network adaptor during restarting to prepare system setting. The error message did not display.  
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:35 AM
  • Hey Jim!
    Can you please detail how you completed that? TIA
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:37 PM