none
Promoted Links on project site template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am fairly new to Project Server, but I have set up a project site template with tiles as promoted links to our Risks, Issues, Actions Registers with the URL linking to these registers within the project site template.  When I then go to add a new project (based on the project site template), the URL's still link back to the project site template which is obviously incorrect.  I'm not sure how to correct this. 

Thank you very much.

Friday, June 23, 2017 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Ensure the links are all relative in the template site and not absolute URLs. For example /sites/PWA/Template1/  rather than https://serverA/sites/PWA/Template1/

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

• Proposed as answer by Julian Bönigk Saturday, June 24, 2017 6:13 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 5:47 AM
  • Paul - we investigated this issue further and I can confirm that the links in the Promoted Links in the site template are using Relative URLs. We created a new site template having confirmed that the promoted links list was definitely using relative URLs. We created a new project using an EPT that was using the new template and in this case the Promoted Links web part didn't display on the home page of the new project site even though the promoted links were on the home page of the site template. To make life more interesting there were 4 projects with sites but when viewing "All site content" I could only see 2 project sites and one was definitely based upon the new template as the template description text entered when saving a site as a template displayed against the name of the new project site. I was a member of the Project Web App Administrators group - they are using SharePoint Permissions mode and not Project Server permissions mode, do you think this could have some influence? When I tried to access one of the other project sites that existed I was presented with the "request access" page, again not what I would expect when acting as an Administrator.

In typing this up something has occurred to me - I created a new site template by locating the existing custom site template that was visible when going to view all site content, making changes and then opting to save the site as a new template. If the existing custom site template was created by using an existing project site could this be a contributory factor - I recall with Project Server on premise that creating a site template from an existing project site caused problems because of GUIDs (cannot remember the precise context - old age!!).

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Friday, July 7, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Was the template create on the PWA site (PWA1 for example) or have you create a template, downloaded the wsp file then uploaded the wsp file to another PWA site collection (PWA2) then get this issue pn PWA2?

The project GUID in the site property bag wont cause the issue you are seeing, but the site template shouldn't have been created from an existing project site linked to a project - it should have been a new project site.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Saturday, July 8, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Paul - the site was created in the same tenant and there is only the one instance of PWA provisioned.

I had a go at seeing if I could resolve the challenge by creating a new site template that had a Promoted Links list linking to the Risk, Issues and other site lists using relative URLs. I created the new site from scratch even though Brian Smith advises that using an existing site as the basis for a new site template is not the problem it used to be.

The peculiar aspect of this approach is that the new site, created using the Project Site template option does not have Risks, Issues etc and these features need to be enabled using Site Settings>Manage Site Features and enable the Project Web App Connectivity feature.

My site template was created and activated as a solution.

I then hit an issue in that I could not change the site template for either new or existing EPTs - the drop down list is just greyed out. I have checked this on two different computers and got the same result - is this a known issue with Project Online?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Monday, July 10, 2017 11:15 AM