none
Importing existing project to Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my company recently purchased Project Online to add to our existing Office 365 environment.

From the Project Web App home page, I would like to use the Create or Import projects tile to add an existing .mpp project file that I have uploaded to my SkyDrive to Project Online, and manage this project from the Project Web app.

However, I cannot figure out how to do this or if it is even possible. The tile itself says "Create new or import from Sharepoint sites and project files.".  To import an existing project you're then referred to this site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/more-ways-to-create-or-import-projects-HA102923810.aspx.  On that site the only listed ways of importing an existing project are to import a Sharepoint task list (not what I want) or by connecting your local Project Pro to Project Online and publishing the project.

Importing or uploading an existing project file directly to Project Online would seem to be a fundamental basic usage of Project Online. Do I really need to also purchase Project Professional in order to import existing project files to Project Online?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:15 AM

Answers

• Project Online cannot read mpp files, hence the reason for requiring Project Professional 2013 if you want to import these into Project Online - even if you only want to manage them via Project Web App from then on.  

If you've not got Project 2013 Pro, you could cut and paste the existing task list from Project into a SharePoint list, and create the project from there.

The way forward will depend on the complexity of your schedules, remember that PWA does not have all of the capability of MS Project 2013

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:42 AM

All replies

• Project Online cannot read mpp files, hence the reason for requiring Project Professional 2013 if you want to import these into Project Online - even if you only want to manage them via Project Web App from then on.  

If you've not got Project 2013 Pro, you could cut and paste the existing task list from Project into a SharePoint list, and create the project from there.

The way forward will depend on the complexity of your schedules, remember that PWA does not have all of the capability of MS Project 2013

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:42 AM

• Hi,

I have sample .mpp file, I need to upload it to MS project Server 2013 (Share Point PWA 2013).
    But I am not finding the solution from where I can upload the .mpp file.

Can anyone suggest, it would be highly appreciable.

Regards
    Shridhar

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi Shridhar,

You need MSProject 2013 Professional, or a subscription to project pro for 0365, in order to publish your sample .mpp plan to the server.  Alternatives are....

1. Manually type in the schedule into Project Web App

2. Export the file to a sharepoint list, and import from there (sharepoint 2013 req'd).

3. Potentially cut and paste the plan into the browser - I haven't tried this...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:00 PM
  • I was able to successfully export the project to an SharePoint (Task) list.  Having trouble getting Project Online to connect to the SharePoint List (I have access to both sites and the list).

We have not committed to using SharePoint Online.  Not reading MPP files is likely a deal breaker.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:34 PM
  • I feel like I'm missing something here.  Can't you simply publish the project data from Project Pro to Project Online?  It works that way with Project Server 2013.

Derek Rempfer

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:07 PM
  • I was able to edit the .MPP file, copy all of the tasks/milestones and paste to a new Project Online project.
    • Proposed as answer by Harold Kimmey Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Hi Derek,

You are missing the fact that the user has a .mpp plan but not access to project

"Importing or uploading an existing project file directly to Project Online would seem to be a fundamental basic usage of Project Online. Do I really need to also purchase Project Professional in order to import existing project files to Project Online?"

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Hi Harold,

This is the way to go if you don't have access to Microsoft Project 2013 Professional, but you do have access to a previous version, or even Project 2013 standard.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:33 PM
  • What about those of us who DO have Project 2013 Pro - I can't find instructions on how do it using the software either, do you know?
    Friday, June 12, 2015 2:37 AM