System Hardware Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I have not been able to find any information on what the Hardware requirements are for WS2012 Essentials. It looks like I am going to retire WHS and am looking for a replacement but I need to build a machine that can accommodate the new software. I don't want to jump from the frying pan to the fire. The older server motherboard won't take newer drives and newer motherboards don't have drivers for XP era software. 

Also there is an academic version out there and also an HP version. Are any of these two versions ok for home use?

Perry

Perry

• Edited by Perry114 Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:14 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may reference link below for details about System Requirements for Windows Server 2012 Essentials(including basic hardware requirements):
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj200132.aspx

Hardware and driver compatibility related problem, it is recommended to contact the hardware(corresponding driver is developed and provided along with the hardware) manufacturer and make sure if this hardware model supports Windows Server 2012 Essentials. Or, any update version will be released later.

In general, Windows Server 2012 Essentials is designed for small and medium businesses. It enables cross-premise functionality, providing small businesses with on-premises file and print, security, backup, remote access, and identity management services, combined with optional off-premise services. I am not sure the details of “academic version and HP version” you mentioned, but, it is always recommended to choose the version which meets the requirements of your usage, and along with affordable prices.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 2, 2015 1:45 AM