none
Microsoft SBS discontinuation

Question

• With the discontinuation of the SBS line and Microsoft urging us to move to the cloud, it interests me to know what the practicality of getting SBS 2011 might be, I like the idea of the behind the SBS package but with the announcement for the discontinuation of the line occurring so soon after the last release I wonder if maybe I am making a mistake in getting it?

Does anyone know what the forecast for the current release will be as far as updates, lifespan and support? I have seen new releases only in Microsoft's history so far and I have never seen them stop a product line before. Can some one give me some insight as to what I should expect? Should I still be selling the SBS platform to my Small Businesses? Or start pushing them in a different direction already?

I am setting up a new SBS server that got ordered basically days before the announcement was given and I need to know that it is a solution that will last me the 3-5 years (or more) that I expect it to.

ijerry

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:40 AM

Answers

• 1.  I will still be running it for several years in my firm. 

2.  It has a full five years of active support (meaning service packs, update rollups) and then five more years of security updates.

SBS will still be an actively supported platform until 2018 (at least) if not a little more.

• Marked as answer by ijerryjones Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:38 AM

All replies

• I don't see any reason to worry or panic. SBS 2011 will be sold until Dec. 2013 and most likely will be supported for at least 5 years after that. If you want to retain an on-premise Exchange Server then the newly announced Server 2012 Essentials will still have that capability only with a separate Exchange install on a 2nd server.

Steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:18 AM
  • My personal plan is that any new hardware will get Server12, to be used as HyperV, and a copy of SBS11. SBS11 and the 2*S12 instances as virtual machines. The 1st S12 instance is SQL or LOB, 2nd might be RDS.

Maybe MS will wake up and smell the roses before SBS11 turns to dust.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:08 AM
  • 1.  I will still be running it for several years in my firm. 

2.  It has a full five years of active support (meaning service packs, update rollups) and then five more years of security updates.

SBS will still be an actively supported platform until 2018 (at least) if not a little more.

• Marked as answer by ijerryjones Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Alright, sounds good to me, I was looking forward to using it, it seems like an excellent bundle and fits well in most situations, but it is pretty sad to think it wont be around long.

ijerry

Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Are you kidding? This is not good news! SBS has enabled many small businesses to to have a sophisticated, comprehensive platform and applications at reasonable prices and easy install. Those business are now going to get pushed to the cloud?

A few yeas back when EBS was discontinued, I read a post where it was predicted that SBS was next and many partners were upset. It was followed by this blog post (read point # 2). So now what's next?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mssmallbiz/archive/2010/03/05/microsoft-windows-essential-business-server-discontinued-information-faqs-and-more.aspx

Is this the next step in a series intended to do away with distributed platforms and push towards cloud OS?

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 1:15 PM