none
SharePoint 2013 NTLM connectivity with Android devices in 2017

Question

• Is it still true you can't access ShPt running NTLM with an Android device?  I'm seeing that answer to a similar question in this forum but the post was from 3 years ago (March 2014).  One would think that SharePoint 2013 would be a mature product by now, and provide connectivity to the most popular mobile platform on the planet, the one with a ridiculous amount of market share.  

If it's still true that Android won't connect to SharePoint 2013 sites running NTLM, can anybody explain what is it about Android implementation that prevents this?  Why does it work in iOS and not Android?  Are there any workarounds for this if you HAVE to get it working for Android?  I came across something suggesting a tool to allow you to RDP from a web browser first and then somehow you hit the SP site after that.  However that also seemed like an old post so maybe there is a better answer today?  

Finally, if we bite the bullet and implement kerberos, will Android connect then?  The current issue is it won't authenticate the user.  It just keeps throwing up the login box over and over.  Tested across a number of different browsers (Chrome,FF, Opera mini, etc) all running on Android v6 and above.  Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks all!

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Android Browser (Android 4.x or later versions) is supported in SharePoint 2013 server.

More information about mobile security and authentication in SharePoint 2013 for your reference:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161350.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  We came across that table on TechNet yesterday morning, stating that Shpt 2013 running NTLM is compatible with Android devices. However, so far it is not, at least for us. We looked all over the web yesterday trying to find an answer, I posted this question here at EOD trying to find out why not, and what to do about it. 

Also, TechNet itself seems to be inconsistent about this.  If you select Authentication for mobile devices on the LH side of the TechNet page you screenshot, it takes you to the page I screenshot below.  Under "Authentication for Mobile Devices" there is another table with no reference to Android at all, only iOS and Windows. 

Can anyone provide more information as to why sp2013 works with iOS and not Android?  Should I be posting this to an Android forum and does anybody know a good one?  Finally if nobody solved this are there any suggestions for an effective workaround if you have to use Android?  Thanks in advance. 

Screen Shot

• Edited by RandomAx Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:51 PM