none
DPM to DPM DR Agent issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing out DPM to DPM for the purpose of offsite DR and am encountering an odd issue. DPMServer1 is the local DPM server whose agent is installed on all local resources. The backups are all working well (SQL, SharePoint, File Servers, and Workstations).  I then setup a second DPMServer2 which will then backup DPMServer1 offsite at a DR location.  After installing the DPMServer2 agent on DPMServer1 and a restarting both servers I was able to see all the DPMServer1 protected resources on DPMServer2 when setting up a new protection group on DPMServer2.  I was successful in setting up all the protection groups on DPMServer2 using the DPMServer1 protected resources.  The only odd issue is I keep getting a 'Unable to contact DPM protection agent' on DPMServer2 for one of the File Servers being directly protected by DPMServer1.  However, I do not get a 'Unable to Contact DPM Protection agent' alert on DPMServer1.  Then, about two hours later I get a 'Resolved' alert from DPMServer2.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The reason why DPMServer2 is giving you this alert even thought the File Server is connected to DPMServer1 is because DPM wants to make sure you can switch-over the primary protection to DPMServer2 in case your DPMServer1 goes offline.

Regarding your issue with the alerts. Could you, when the DPMServer2 says it cannot contact the File Server run a ipconfig /flushdns from an elevated prompt on DPMServer2 and then refresh the agent on DPMServer1.
    If the alert goes away directly on DPMServer2, there is something wrong with your DNS.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Thank you for the reply...not sure why I wasn't notified of the comments..

Anyway, I was getting the Warning on DPMServer2 so I logged into it and ran the ipconfig /flushdns from and elevated prompt.

I then went to DPMServer1 and refresh on the agent for the server which said 'OK'.  I checked back on DPMServer2 and the alert was still present.

So strange, DPMServer1 never alerts me that it is ever losing contact with the servers agent...only DPMServer2.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:42 PM