none
DPM2012 R2 - Protection Group quandry RRS feed

• Question

• I have Installed DPM 2012 R2 onto a 2008 R2 server.

I have 95% handle on the software, but am in a quandry on how to proceed other than in the way with which Microsoft designed the software, which is not what I need.

My Protection Groups all backup to Tape (short term and Long term)

DPM: Rule:

- Can't protect the same volume in multiple protection groups.

- Can't change what is backed up in 1 protection group based on the retention method and/or each of the retention time frames

My Requirements: I want to backup 1 specific Folder (size of folder is equal to all other data sources combined) on the server only 1 time every month, due to its large size and lack of change from week to week.

My Problems:

- There is another folder on the same volume that is needed to be backed up every day.

- I don't want to write too much data to the tapedrive because I will have to clean the drive twice as often.

- I can't move the Monthly folder to a separate volume.

I would LIKE to place them all in the same protection group, but due to the Protection Group Creation mechanics I would have to back up EVERYTHING with the same protection plan (full backup etc)

I know I can create a second Protection group (removing the volume from the first protection group entirely) with different parameters for a FULL and incremental setup, but that isn't optimal either, as I don't want to backup the Large folder Weekly, but I do want the other Folder on the volume backed up daily.

This link has an ambiguous statement about setting up a protection group by computers, or by data type, but there is no mechanic to set up a protection group by data type, and it seems the 'can't protect a volume in more than one protection group' rule would stop this from being very feasable. I believe this to be more a planning statement than an actual ability in dpm *sigh*

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758007.aspx

"Selecting protection group members

There are several approaches you can take to organize data sources into protection groups, including the following:

• By computer, with all data sources for a computer belonging to the same protection group.

• An advantage of this approach is that with all data from a computer in the same protection group, you have a single point of adjustment for performance loads.
      • A constraint of this approach is that all data sources of a type on that computer must be assigned the same recovery goals.
    • By data type, separating files and each application data type into different protection groups.

• An advantage of this approach is that you can manage data types as a group.
      • A constraint of this approach is that recovering a server can require multiple tapes from several protection groups.

By definition, all members of a protection group share recovery goals—that is, all data sources of a type in a protection group must have the same retention range and data loss tolerance.

If you have only a single stand-alone tape, use a single protection group to minimize the effort to change tapes. Multiple protection groups require a separate tape for each protection group."

Does anyone have any tricks to be able to possibly create a new fake volume pointed at the folder needing to be backed up once a month?

And can anyone give me an explanation as to why a volume is locked down to one protection group, when every other backup software out there allows any volume to be in multiple backup jobs.

Justin Harty Helpdesk Analyst A+, Security + Certified

• Edited by Justin Harty Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:28 PM added info
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I agree that For volume \ Share protection, dpm is not very flexible to having separate protection goal capability for subsets of data located on the volume.  The only solution would be to use mountpoints to move the data to a separate volume while maintaining the namespace for the users / application.  DPM could protect that mountpoint folder as a separate datasource in a separate protection group.

example - below you want DIR4 to be protected less frequently than the other DIR's

NOW:
    D:\Dir1
    D:\Dir2
    D:\Dir3\Dir4
                  file1
                  file2

AFTER MOUNTPOINT
                   |______>Volume1   <--- DPM protects this as a seperate data source, so can have separate goals.
                                   file1
                                   file2

As to the question about "By data type, separating files and each application data type into different protection groups."  This is referring to "application data" like make a PG with all sharepoint protection, and another for all exchange protection, and another for all SQL protection. or even one for all Volume protection etc.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 2, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I agree that For volume \ Share protection, dpm is not very flexible to having separate protection goal capability for subsets of data located on the volume.  The only solution would be to use mountpoints to move the data to a separate volume while maintaining the namespace for the users / application.  DPM could protect that mountpoint folder as a separate datasource in a separate protection group.

example - below you want DIR4 to be protected less frequently than the other DIR's

NOW:
                  file1
                  file2

AFTER MOUNTPOINT
                   |______>Volume1   <--- DPM protects this as a seperate data source, so can have separate goals.
                                   file1
                                   file2

As to the question about "By data type, separating files and each application data type into different protection groups."  This is referring to "application data" like make a PG with all sharepoint protection, and another for all exchange protection, and another for all SQL protection. or even one for all Volume protection etc.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 2, 2014 8:33 PM
  • While We are probly not going to go with a mount point, this is essentially what I didn't want to have to do, but did after I found we had enough space on our drive to shrink and create a new volume. 

Justin Harty Helpdesk Analyst A&#43;, Security &#43; Certified

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:46 PM