Outlook Anywhere, TMG and Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! After trying to find an answer to this question I have, I have decided to submit a thread.

I managed a handful of exchange servers that I inherited when I started working at a new job. Users have been complaining that Outlook 2007 prompts for a password every time that they start their Outlook client. I looked to see what authentication methods were being used for OA (Exchange 2010) and TMG. Both are set to basic.

I have read that NTLM should be used, and not Basic but I am worried that NTLM will break non-domain joined computers from accessing OA.

What recommendations can you make to solve for the login problem?

Thanks for helping out a semi-newbie!

Jacob Geiser BS of IT -- Network Technologies Kaplan University

Friday, March 29, 2013 4:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are the users required to type in a password when they log into their computers?

If not, then add a password to one of the clients having the problem, reboot and see if that fixes it.

• Edited by IbanezWiz Friday, March 29, 2013 5:48 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Non-domain-joined computers will work fine.  NTLM is an authentication protocol built-in to Windows; it does not require the computer to be a member of Active Directory.  These users however will have a similar experience as basic authentication (password prompt).

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:36 AM
  • It all depends. If they are using their own laptop, yes. If they are using their personal computer then no. I've replicated it in Windows 7 and XP, on and off domain.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Will it allow you to save the password? Right now users don't get that option. It is just a straight up log in prompt.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Will it allow you to save the password? Right now users don't get that option. It is just a straight up log in prompt.

The password can be saved on client computers with either NTLM or Basic authentication.  If you're using an older version of Windows or Office, I believe there is a registry change necessary but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

I happen to be running Windows 8 and Office 2013 right now, with 3 Outlook Anywhere accounts in a single Outlook profile.  One is using NTLM and the other 2 are using Basic.  I am only prompted to enter my password if I change it (like when it expires).  This PC is not joined to a domain.

Mike Crowley | MVP

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Do you know what the TMG firewall rule is set to? I ask because I have gotten conflicting information from a handful of Exchange admins. One of them is saying Exchange OR TMG has to be set to NTLM, another say basic-basic is fine.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Pre-Auth is disabled on the OA rule.

Also:

Mike Crowley | MVP

• Edited by Mike Crowley Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:52 AM fixed a link
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, April 5, 2013 9:19 AM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:16 AM
  • And... 

EDIT: Basic wasn't needed here... I should probably remove it!

Mike Crowley | MVP

• Edited by Mike Crowley Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Friday, April 5, 2013 9:19 AM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:17 AM