Tripple Boot Issue. RRS feed

• Question

• I have XP MCE 2005 on drive 0 (SATA). I HAD Vista Ultimate 64bit on drive 2 (SATA). After installing Vista I now have the Boot Manager screen (Nice). I removed drive 2 because of video editing compatibility issues, but I did not erase the drive. Using a clean drive, I installed the 32bit version of Vista. The Boot Manager now shows 3 options, 2 Vista/1 XP. So I started thinking. Since Vista (at the time of installation) showed my USB External Drives as options to where Vista may be installed, I took the old Vista 64bit drive and put it in a USB enclosure, plugged it in and tried to boot to it. I got the missing file screen. Is there any way to make this work with out loosing the data or installed programs. Maybe by making the Boot Manager look for the USB drive or by making the USB drive boot-able and change the boot order when I want to access that version. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed. I have a program on that drive that would be very very difficult to replace.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:02 PM

All replies

• Windows Vista cannot be used or booted from an external drive.  To clear up your boot menu, download and install VistaBootPro: http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Well, before I wipe the drive, I would like to try something. How would you make an external USB drive bootable. For the sake of the experiment lets say their was no OS on the drive. Like making a bootable USB flash drive. Is their some file or files that can be placed on the drive. Like the one that the boot manager says is missing.

Monday, October 22, 2007 5:18 PM