Client Computers not showing in Update Services Console

• HI,

SBS 2011 Standard

5 x Windows 8 Pro Client Computers

Just noticed that none of the Client computers have been updating, I suspect since installation. (Standard default server installation)

1. Client Computers not showing in Update Services Console
    2. Client computers all show in SBS 2011 Standard Console but in Network>Computers under Update Status it displays - UnKnown
    3. Client Computers cannot directly access online Windows Update, stating that updates are "Managed by your system administrator"
    4. Client Computers do receive Anti Virus and Spyware updates via Server and SBS 2011 Standard Console provides details of client computers that required these updates when required.
    5. Server - Shows in Update Services Console under "Update Services Server Computers" and in SBS 2011 Standard Console>Network>Computers under Update Status it displays - OK

Any reason why Client Computers do not show in Update Services Console yet receive Anti Virus and Spyware updates?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you follow the below articles?

Step 5: Update and Configure the Client Computers

Configure Update Services

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Hi Yan,

The link refers to sbs 2003 and I cannot locate the advance management console on my sbs 2011 server. I believe there is a snap in but not sure how to get it up and running. Further assistance would be great.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:31 PM
  • If the client is installed by the image, you need to run the following command:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIdValidation /f
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:19 PM
  • This a a brand new installation back in July, new server and 5 new client computers. Nothing else.

All clients happily connected to the server and the server provides virus updates, but for some reason, I cannot get the server to update the clients. As such, no updates have happened on the clients as the clients do not have permission, stating "you receive updates: - Managed by your system administrator". 

I have gone through the process via WSUS but the only computer showing is the server.

• Edited by Peter pls Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:11 PM
    Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:57 AM
  • The link refers to sbs 2003

Not only SBS2003, but also for a legacy version of WSUS. I'm challenged to understand why it's so difficult for Microsoft Support Reps to cite the current documentation.

For documentation regarding configuring clients in a WSUS v3 or WSUS v6 environment, please refer to the article Update and Configure the Automatic Updates Client Computer in the WSUS Deployment Guide.

For assistance with the SBS2011 Console, I believe this link will be the place to start:

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile:
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:14 PM