How to mask connection string in Configuring the device for data center resources in SC VMM SSP ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to SC VMM SSP.

I have a question.While editing the resources for a data center, I want to configure a device. (Setting->Datacenter Management ->> Datacenter Resource -> Device -> Edit [a specific Device]. The pop -up shows three things - Device Name, Connection String, Device Type.

The Connection String is in clear text. That causes a strong reservation in our organization about its secure use .

Is there any way , programmatically or otherwise, that I can mask the connection string ? So that, if someone types the information, the entered characters are masked in a usual way, as it is being done in any regular password text box ?

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:33 AM

Answers

• The content of the connection string depends on what the device (SAN or LB) requires for a connection.For example, a connection string can be a simple IP address such as 31.3.0.2, or it can be composed of multiple elements such as an IP address and port number.

Regarding security - Configuration of connection string can be done only by DCIT admin as "Setting Tab" is visible only to DCIT admins and no other SSP user would be able to use it.  

As the connection string could be anything, we wont be able to mask only the password /credentials. However, user could use the secure credential approach( the one we do during domain join operation) and the instead of having clear text credential in this text box, can have reference to the password object to be used in the script.  This connection string would then nee to analyze in extensibility scripts during create VM.

Thanks,

• Marked as answer by Yogesh C Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Yogesh C Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:22 PM
    • Edited by Yogesh C Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:25 PM Added more details
    • Marked as answer by Yogesh C Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:48 PM