none
Why does server ask me to SAVE right after I have published? RRS feed

• Question

• When I publish a project schedule in server 2010, why am I asked to "Save" when I then try to close the schedule and check it back in?  No changes were made after to the schedule after the "Publish" step!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:17 PM

All replies

• I do not see that behavior, if I did not make ANY changes. It asks me only to check-in.

The changes do not necessarily need to be on the tasks or schedule. Even if you rearrange the view, drag the splitter bar for Gantt, or anything of that sort, the system treats that as a change, and prompts you to save.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Prasanna, thank you for your response. 

Yes, I agree with you regarding what consists a change, but we do see this behavior on occasion without any changes and cannot figure out why!  Not even sure we're executing a mouse click at all (for example, to click on any different cell after the publish step).  Behavior is not seen every single time, either; only sometimes.  Used to wonder if it was a time-lapse trigger, but (I think) I've ruled that out as the cause.

Have you, or anyone out there, any other ideas?  Thanks again!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:47 PM
  • We are now thinking it could possibly be calculations occuring in the background.  The colleague who presented the issue was opening schedules that had been closed  prior to a change we made to calendars.  We'll just monitor for recurrence and see if we notice a pattern.
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Zenyatta,

I have seen this behavior and unfortunately  there is no definite answer. However definitely it as to do with some data change happen in the backend which needs synchronization the information form local cache to the server.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:40 PM
  • It is a pop-up that appears without doing any validation.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Sometimes the "Save and Check-In" pops up, other times only the "Check-in" pops up.  Perhaps no validation occuring, but something is triggering the difference, would you say?
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:06 PM
  • I use Project Server 2010. I only get the 'Save and Check-in' if I actually make a change to the projects. If there are no changes then there is a different pop up: "Do you want to check in the project".

Do you get the first one even if you open the project and immediately close it?

• Proposed as answer by HFprojects Monday, March 6, 2017 12:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:10 PM