none
MDT DriverSelectionProfile importing ALL drivers from profile RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running into an issue where the 2013 MacBook Airs don't image correctly without Apple's USB 3.0 driver, but a number of Dell Optiplexes will bluescreen if they get this specific driver.

We currently run a Chaos configuration for our drivers just because we have to deal with every model of computer made in the last fifteen years.

Does anybody have any ideas for excluding this driver from all but one model of computer?

I attempted to make a driverselectionprofile that included everything but the driver but found that MDT was importing ALL drivers from the driverselectionprofile when it was specified. (Any ideas on this issue?)

Thanks!

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:45 PM

All replies

• You can target the installation of certain 'Driver Injection Steps' specifically with WMI queries as condition on this step.

Imagine 5 "Inject Drivers" steps, 3 regular for your regular hardware (per model) and for example 2 specials, 1 for Apple, 1 for Dell. Since you are installing Windows and WMI works just fine under WinPE there must be one or two unique identifiers to find on Apple and Dell hardware to prevent the installation of wrong or not suitable drivers.

So you do like this:

Create a selection profile called "Apple" or "Apple USB 3.0 Mass Storage", point the selection profile to the folder where you have stored you Apple Drivers or Apple Mass Storage driver.

Then in your task sequence do the following:

Name: Inject Drivers Apple

Action: Inject Drivers

Selection Profile: Apple

Condition: "This step may run if select * from Win32_SystemType = Apple" (you may have to figure out the WMI query yourself)

This way the step will only execute of the condition you have set is met, in this case the result of the query has to be "Apple" (or like stated before, any other unique identifier you can certainly point out you are dealing with Apple hardware)

Repeat this step over and over again for every piece of hardware you want to target individually

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Rens,

I understand the different methods to do driver selection (while I hadn't planned on doing WMI, that is a fantastic idea). The problem I'm having is that if I specify a driver selection profile it will go ahead and import every single driver that is a part of that driver selection profile.

Any idea why that might be happening? If I can figure out why it's importing all drivers then the fixing the rest of it is trivial.

Thanks for your time on this

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:56 PM
  • In your task sequence for the Inject Drivers step, is "Install all drivers from the selection profile" selected? The default is to only install matching drivers but I thought I'd verify in case someone changed it. 

-Nick O.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Nick,

I am specifying the driver selection profile via customsettings.ini (driverselectionprofile=<profile>) and leaving the inject drivers task sequence step at its default setting. I've noticed that it imports ALL drivers.

The Install only matching drivers from the selection profile option is selected

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:31 PM
  • The default selection profile in the TS is "All Drivers." My guess is that it's using both the selection profile you've set in CS.ini as well as "All Drivers," or the TS takes precedence over CS.ini. For testing purposes, I'd try a different selection profile in the TS or try out the "total control" method.

-Nick O.

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:51 PM