Added list style does not show in the Styles pane while available in the Manage Styles dialog; how to unhide the style? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

I have created a custom style that defines numbering for a list. However, this list does not show in the Styles pane.

In the Style Pane Options dialog in shows:

• Select styles to show: All styles
    • Select how list is sorted: Alphabetical

However, the list does not show in the Style pane.

If I click Manage Styles at the bottom of the Styles pane and navigate in the list of styles on the Edit tab of the Manage Styles dialog box, the list shows in the list. And it shows in black color so it must be enabled.

On the Recommend tab of the Manage Styles dialog box the added 'hidden' list shows in as:

last Mixed list

If I select it, I cannot change style priority, the Move Up / Move Down and Make Last / Assign Value... buttons appear unavailable for the selected style.

However, if I select a style that shows in the Styles pane, these Move Up / Move Down and Make Last / Assign Value... buttons become available.

A custom style that does not appear in the Styles pane

A custom style that shows in the Styles pane

The Styles pane:

Adding new style:

Could somebody please explain, what could be the problem? How do I unhide and use the created Mixed list style?

It must be rather easy, but I surrender. ) Hoping for your help.

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:44 PM

Answers

• The Styles pane only displays paragraph and character styles (and, depending on your settings, it may display some direct formatting as if it was styles).

The best way to apply multilevel list numbering to text is by associating each numbering level with a paragraph style and then apply the *paragraph styles* to text. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

The article uses the built-in heading styles as examples, but you can use any set of nine paragraph styles with your list.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:30 PM