Server 2008 R2 Enterprise / KMS Host activation Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but please accept my apologies if its not.

On to my question, I'm currently configuring one of our DCs running Enterprise Server 2008 R2 as a KMS host server.  We want to be able to support Windows 10 and below activations so I used one of our Standard Server 2012 R2 KMS keys and then realized that key would not be valid in order to maintain a valid Enterprise server 2008 R2 activation.  My question comes down to this, what key should I use in order to maintain my 08 R2 server activated and be able to activate Win10 and below.  Is this even possible?  I ask because I do not see any mention of Server 2012 R2 Enterprise in any of the comparison material I have come across.  Is there even 12 R2 Enterprise version?  

Thank you

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 6:11 PM

Answers

• It's a little difficult to convey in simple terms, the confusing array of permutations (but I did my best, when I created that crazy grid thingy ;)

The Win10 KMShost key can only be installed to a Windows "client" OS, e.g. Win10/Win8.1, but not installed to a Windows Server OS.

If you have a need to use a Windows Server OS as KMShost to issue activations for Win10 KMSclients, you have to use the new/special WS2012R2+Win10 KMShost key.
    And, note that although there is a patch for WS2008R2 to allow you to do that, it's widely reported as being troublesome on WS2008R2.
    People seem to be having greater success with the combo key when the KMShost OS is WS2012R2.

At the moment, I haven't personally installed that key on any of my KMShosts (we are using ADBA instead).

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Monday, December 21, 2015 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:08 AM

All replies

• From http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22510.volume-activation-kms-mak-adba-avma.aspx it appears that 2008 R2 cannot be a KMS host for Windows 10.

There is no Enterprise version for Windows Server 2012 - just Standard and Datacenter.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:32 PM
  • Thanks Tim, I see that the grid shows that but if you read further down, there's an update to Server 2008 R2 that allows Win10 activation.  KB3079821 being the patch.  I've already applied the patch and was able to allow for Windows 10 and below activations with the Server 2012 R2 Standard/DataCenter KMS key, but doing this on a Server 08 R2 Enterprise machine causes the server to loose its activation and go into "trial mode".  Was hoping someone else has come up with this and has a way of working it out without having to stand up another device.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:40 PM
  • HiHuascar,

You need a KMS key of Windows Srv 2012 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10.

Run slmgr.vbs /ipk <kms key> to install the key. Then run slmgr.vbs /ato to activate the KMS host.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:41 AM
  • It's a little difficult to convey in simple terms, the confusing array of permutations (but I did my best, when I created that crazy grid thingy ;)

The Win10 KMShost key can only be installed to a Windows "client" OS, e.g. Win10/Win8.1, but not installed to a Windows Server OS.

If you have a need to use a Windows Server OS as KMShost to issue activations for Win10 KMSclients, you have to use the new/special WS2012R2+Win10 KMShost key.
    And, note that although there is a patch for WS2008R2 to allow you to do that, it's widely reported as being troublesome on WS2008R2.
    People seem to be having greater success with the combo key when the KMShost OS is WS2012R2.

At the moment, I haven't personally installed that key on any of my KMShosts (we are using ADBA instead).

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Monday, December 21, 2015 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:08 AM
  • I've already applied the patch and was able to allow for Windows 10 and below activations with the Server 2012 R2 Standard/DataCenter KMS key, but doing this on a Server 08 R2 Enterprise machine causes the server to loose its activation and go into "trial mode".  

After you installed the new product key, did you activate the new key of the KMShost OS?
    (when you change a product key, you have to [re]activate it with MSFT via web or phone)

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:16 AM
  • Leo, I did try a server 2012 std KMS key but did not try /ATO as I realized it was server OS installed and the key said standard.  I will try the activation today and see what happens.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:43 PM
  • Thanks Don, I had most of it understood I think but my panic mode kicked in when I realized I didnt have server 2012 R2 enterprise key, but my server had installed Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.  I thought maybe I needed a comparable key as in Enterpise installed therefore I would need an Enterprise key to set up KMS host and since I want to support up to Windows 10 I assumed I would need a Server 2012 R2 Enterprise key.  Hadn't read of issues with the patch and its already been installed.  What kind of issues have you heard of?  I don't control the server just was granted access in order to configure KMS and dont want to leave the server admin in a "the server is F'ed up" state.

thanks

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Nope, but I will today.  As soon as it showed up as not activated I panicked.  Reverted back to enterprise 2008 r2 and it didnt click that even that one had to be activated.  I'm asking for access to the server again today and will try the key once more and attempt to activate.

Thanks for the suggestion

*EDIT*

So I tried the Server 2012 R2 dataCenter/Standard KMS key and I'm up and running up to Win8.1.  Reading above I see leo mentions DataCenter/STndard FOR windows 10.  Am i reading right and there's a different key to be used if I require Windows 10 activation as well?  Need to reach out to our MS rep and see what they have to say.

Thank you all for the help

• Edited by Huascar Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Nope, but I will today.  As soon as it showed up as not activated I panicked.  Reverted back to enterprise 2008 r2 and it didnt click that even that one had to be activated.  I'm asking for access to the server again today and will try the key once more and attempt to activate.

Thanks for the suggestion

*EDIT*

So I tried the Server 2012 R2 dataCenter/Standard KMS key and I'm up and running up to Win8.1.  Reading above I see leo mentions DataCenter/STndard FOR windows 10.  Am i reading right and there's a different key to be used if I require Windows 10 activation as well?  Need to reach out to our MS rep and see what they have to say.

Thank you all for the help

There is a specific key for WS2012R2 STD+DCE+Win10 (it's an all-in-one combo key), and it's tucked away inside VLSC. The wiki article shows how to find it. If you can't find it, it could be because of the type of VL agreement your org has, some orgs have to request a key, other orgs, it's just there automatically.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:56 PM
  • Which wiki article?  I contacted our MS rep and she provided me with the right key.  I would like to see the wiki article though so I can see if I just missed it somehow.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:02 PM