WSUS client on Server 2019 Core not reporting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with two servers on Windows Server 2019 Core. I have WSUS server on a server with GUI and it reports to itself without any problems. However, two servers running Windows Server 2019 Core do not. I checked the firewall on the WSUS server and all nescessary ports seemed to be opened. I can also ping the server.

When I run those:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f

I receive an error "The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value"

Those commands run well:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f rd /s /q "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution" net start bits net start wuauserv wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow PowerShell.exe (New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AutoUpdate).DetectNow()

After running those, servers still are not visible in the console.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tom,

Consider the following aspects of the WindowsUpdate.log of the core server where the problem occurred:

1. Has the address of the WSUS server appeared in the log? If not, please consider whether the part about Group Policy is applied correctly.
    2. Check for any error messages during the update process?

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:42 AM
  • Follow the troubleshooting steps on my blog page:

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/client-machines-not-reporting-to-wsus-properly/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:28 AM
  • When I run " C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WindowsUpdateLog" in Powershell

I get an error:

Get-Process: A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Get-WindowsUpdateLog'

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:28 PM
  • Servers reported themselves after quite a while.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 2:15 PM
  • When I run " C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WindowsUpdateLog" in Powershell

I get an error:

Get-Process: A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'Get-WindowsUpdateLog'

Hi Tom,

It is nice to see that the problem has been solved.
    Regarding the issue of Powershell generating WindowsUpdate.log, is this core server accessible to the Internet? Regarding the exception to get Windows Symbol Packages, it is recommended that you confirm the network connection and try to generate again. For offline devices, please refer to Using a Manifest File with SymChk.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:57 AM