none
Customizing the My Tasks screen in Project Web App, Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• While I’m quite familiar with Microsoft Project (have done extensive macro/VBA work in it), I’m new to Project Server 2010.  I would like to customize/simplify the My Tasks screen (in PWA) to show a team member (for each assigned task) only two fields: Remaining Work and Actual Start.  A progress update would consist of setting an Actual Start date (once, when work commences) and changing Remaining Work to reflect the team member’s best estimate as to how much more time is needed (as of the progress update) to complete the task.  Setting Remaining Work to 0 would mark the task as complete (which happens automatically in Project, at least).

Ideally, a third field (say Start1) would automatically be filled in with the date the team member saved his progress update (I plan on using Actual Start and Start1 as the start/end dates for the Progress bar style as an indicator of the task’s most recent update date).

Is such a drastic customization possible in Project Server, and, if so, what tools or approaches are available to do something like this?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:47 PM

Answers

• Al --

I think you are going to run into some real problems with your method of tracking.  Using the Actual Start date and Remaining Work is NOT enough information.  Your team members MUST enter some form of actual progress, whether it be a % Work Complete value or an Actual Work value.  Your assumption is that the user can simply adjust the Remaining Work and the system will calculate how much Actual Work the team member has done, and that is NOT how the system works.  If you experiment with this, I believe you will see I am correct.  So, although I appreciate your desire for simplicity, I would recommend you track progress using these following four fields:

• Actual Start
    • % Work Complete (or Actual Work)
    • Remaining Work
    • Actual Finish

Also, regarding your question about using the Start1 field to capture the date the team member entered the progress, no, you cannot use a formula in a custom field.  It is not that simple.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by Al Mecklenburg Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, you can modify Views from Server Setting-Manage Views. From there either create new or modify existing Task views.

If I understand you correctly and hopefully can answer you, you can use Task Custom Field using formula.

Thanks

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for your response Kashif.

Since I made this post, I’ve been able to research more and see that you are indeed correct that view fields can be modified.  So, my plan now is to show Actual Start and Actual Finish (which the user fills in when he’s done with the task).  I was planning on using Remaining Work to adjust task duration, but ran into some difficulties with that.  I’ve just now discovered that the user could simply change the (scheduled) Finish date to show his latest estimate of when the task will be finished, so I’ll include that field as well.

The one remaining uncertainty for me is whether it’s possible to somehow automatically set the Start1 field to the date the user is updating his progress (say, when he saves his adjustments).  Are you suggesting that this could be accomplished using a custom field and a formula?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Al --

I think you are going to run into some real problems with your method of tracking.  Using the Actual Start date and Remaining Work is NOT enough information.  Your team members MUST enter some form of actual progress, whether it be a % Work Complete value or an Actual Work value.  Your assumption is that the user can simply adjust the Remaining Work and the system will calculate how much Actual Work the team member has done, and that is NOT how the system works.  If you experiment with this, I believe you will see I am correct.  So, although I appreciate your desire for simplicity, I would recommend you track progress using these following four fields:

• Actual Start
    • % Work Complete (or Actual Work)
    • Remaining Work
    • Actual Finish

Also, regarding your question about using the Start1 field to capture the date the team member entered the progress, no, you cannot use a formula in a custom field.  It is not that simple.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by Al Mecklenburg Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Thanks Dale, I've been experimenting with the fileds you suggest and indeed they look like they'll be waht I need.
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:07 PM