none
Visual Reports RRS feed

  • Question

  • Im using MS Project Pro 2010 (SP2) standalone. I can generate visual reports except those that use the Assignment Useage cube. If I run one of them I get the error message " An unknown error occured and the requested action could not be completed this time". If I design my own simple report using the Assignment Useage cube then I get the same error message. Does anyone know of a fix?
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:20 AM

All replies

  • I would take a look in the event viewer in the 1st instance, but it all sounds rather eosteric

    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

    Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:46 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for your quick respone Ben. here is the event log:

    "The description for Event ID 1 from source MSOLAP$LocalCube cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the 2057 locale cannot be found."

    Does anyone know what this means?

    Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Locale 2057  is English UK.  I would run a repair on Excel and Project - but in truth I'm clutching at straws.  Do other users have the same issue, with the same project.  Do you have the same issue with a different project?

    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

    Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:17 PM
    Moderator
  • In Windows and Project, English UK is installed and set as my default language. Interestingly I have the same problem with all project files I open while my colleagues can run all the visual reports in the same files.

    Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:26 PM
  • So it's a local issue to your computer.  Have you tried running a repair on Excel / Project?

    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

    Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:54 PM
    Moderator
  • Ive repaired Project and Office programmes and still experience the same issue. I suppose the next thing to do is to reinstall Project?
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 9:08 AM
  • You could try this, alas I have run bang out of ideas.


    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:52 PM
    Moderator
  • Ok so this is what I did. I uninstalled/reinstalled Project Pro 2010 (32 bit) and all visual reports ran ok. I then updated Project to SP1 and all visual reports ran ok. I then updated Project to SP2 and all visual reports ran ok except those using the assignment useage cube (my original problem). So I uninstall SP2 and reports run ok again. To maintain functionality I think I'll just leave SP2 alone unless someone can suggest a fix.
    Monday, October 7, 2013 1:23 PM
  • shoppingboy,

    In the ideal scenario when a service pack is released it contains all fixes from previous updates (e.g. hotfixes) but that's not always the case. In the case of Project 2010, SP2 does NOT contain the fixes associated with the June 2013 cumulative update, and that update has lots of items. This may or may not help, but why not try installing the June 2013 cumulative update followed by installation of SP2.

    Just a thought.

    John

    Monday, October 7, 2013 2:38 PM