SCCM 2007 2012 migration issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Having a little bit of an issue migrating our WIMs from SCCM 2007 to 2012. Everything else seemed to migrate successfully. The object fail with the following message in the  System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.     at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments.

I can copy the whole error if it helps.

I think I've check everything to do with permissions. The Destination server should have Full Admin rights to that share. I've also checked the NTFS permissions.

Moving on, I tried to manually add the WIM on the destination server after copying it to a local share on that server. When trying to add the WIM it says the The specified UNC path does not contain a valid WIM file or you do not have permission to access it. I opened the WIMs with WISM and I use them all the time so I'm sure they're fine. All permissions look fine so I really don't know whats going on with it.

Running SCCM 2012 SP1 CU5 on Server 2012 R2. Migrating from SCCM 2007 SP2

WAIK installed

Windows 8.1 ADK installed

Windows 10 ADK installed

also I'm not sure if it happened after the migration but both x64 and x86 boot images are missing from the CM console.

Confused, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Monday, October 24, 2016 12:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For starters you need to fix up your ADK, WAIK installs.

You only need a single install of the Windows ADK - not multiple installs like you have listed. This is most likely why your boot images are missing and could be why are having issues with adding your wim files - although I'm just speculating.

Remove the version of WAIK that you have installed and also remove both ADK versions. I would then restart the server and then install the appropriate version of Windows ADK and then create your boot images.

Seeing as you are doing a migration from 2007 you really should look at upgrading to Configuration Manager current branch (1606 Update 1 presently). Is there a reason why you have specifically chosen to migrate to 2012 SP1 CU5?

If you install the latest Windows 10 ADK (1607) and then upgrade to 2012 R2 SP1 and then migrate directly to 1606 using the newly release media, this will re-create your boot images for you. It may also go a long way towards resolving your issue with adding the wim files.

Just my opinion but this would be the way I would approach the problem.

Cheers

Damon

• Edited by Damon. Johns Monday, October 24, 2016 7:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael.G.M Monday, November 7, 2016 5:36 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 7:18 AM

All replies

• Also, just to note, its a single SCCM server Primary Site. No CAS, no secondary sites. Oh and the WIMs are a  Windows 7 x64 and a Windows 7 x86 image
    • Edited by Michael.G.M Monday, October 24, 2016 1:18 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

For starters you need to fix up your ADK, WAIK installs.

You only need a single install of the Windows ADK - not multiple installs like you have listed. This is most likely why your boot images are missing and could be why are having issues with adding your wim files - although I'm just speculating.

Remove the version of WAIK that you have installed and also remove both ADK versions. I would then restart the server and then install the appropriate version of Windows ADK and then create your boot images.

Seeing as you are doing a migration from 2007 you really should look at upgrading to Configuration Manager current branch (1606 Update 1 presently). Is there a reason why you have specifically chosen to migrate to 2012 SP1 CU5?

If you install the latest Windows 10 ADK (1607) and then upgrade to 2012 R2 SP1 and then migrate directly to 1606 using the newly release media, this will re-create your boot images for you. It may also go a long way towards resolving your issue with adding the wim files.

Just my opinion but this would be the way I would approach the problem.

Cheers

Damon

• Edited by Damon. Johns Monday, October 24, 2016 7:19 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael.G.M Monday, November 7, 2016 5:36 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Thanks Damon,

Very helpful, I will try that out. I didn't realise you only need 1 ADK installed. I've only gone to 2012 SP1 CU5 because that's all we have available to us at the moment and I'm waiting for access to the VLSC so I can update further

Cheers,

Michael

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:56 AM