none
Migration Lists with more than 5000 items

Question

• Hey, 

I need to migrate a list with 43000 (items) (SP on -premises) to SharePoint online. 

What is the best way to do it? I know there is a quite difficult because threshold on SharePoint online it is 5000 items, but how can i solved this problem?

What is yours bests advices?

Appreciate any help about it. 

Thank you. 

Fabio Carvalho 

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 5:49 PM

Answers

• Build the list with appropriate columns, build the views that you will be using so that the indexing service can identify where to build your indexes. Then use CSOM to upload the items to the list. Once you pass the threshold (there may be a higher limit for admins of 20k, i need to finish testing that) you won't be able to add new columns or make large scale changes, however the list will still function.

Large lists in O365 are still amazingly badly done and are the biggest show stopper in my opinion.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:48 PM

All replies

• Build the list with appropriate columns, build the views that you will be using so that the indexing service can identify where to build your indexes. Then use CSOM to upload the items to the list. Once you pass the threshold (there may be a higher limit for admins of 20k, i need to finish testing that) you won't be able to add new columns or make large scale changes, however the list will still function.

Large lists in O365 are still amazingly badly done and are the biggest show stopper in my opinion.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:48 PM
  • Thanks Alex. 

I  can't change threshold values on SharePoint Online. so i this the best way is create multiple Libraries in this case and select the data. 

Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:03 PM
  • For libraries you can use folders which ameliorates most of the issues.
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:02 PM