none
sqlserverwriter missing from vssadmin dpm does not show sql servers

Question

• DPM 2010 backing up a sql 2005 server running on window server 2003. My backups started failing so I tried deleting the protection grop, uninstalling the backup agent, reinstalling the backup agent and recreating the protection group. When trying to recreate the group when I expand the server it does not show the usual all sql server option. I read this may be due to the sqlwriter. I checked the sql server and the sql server vss writer service is running. I trie restarting it but this did not solve my problem. I ran vssadmin list writers and it does NOT show up the list. I read a post about adding the NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM account to the sysadmin role of the sql server and then restart the service but this did not work. I even removed the NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM account and re-added it but this did not help. I was going to reinstall the sql writer vss writer service from the cd but it says I have a new version. I am assuming this is due to and update.

Can I reinstall the sqlwriter.msi and then run windows updated without damaging my existing database server? Do you think this will solve the issue.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

• I solved it. I have been working on this for 2 weeks. If you have a database on the sql server with a trailing space in the name, It will cause the sqlserverwriter to not show up when you run vssadmin list writers and when you try to create a protection group for the sql server it will not show the expected list of All SQL Servers when you expand out the server.

Please make sure other people see this as I spent a long time looking for this answer.

• Marked as answer by Alpine7 Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:49 PM

All replies

• I solved it. I have been working on this for 2 weeks. If you have a database on the sql server with a trailing space in the name, It will cause the sqlserverwriter to not show up when you run vssadmin list writers and when you try to create a protection group for the sql server it will not show the expected list of All SQL Servers when you expand out the server.

Please make sure other people see this as I spent a long time looking for this answer.

• Marked as answer by Alpine7 Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Just a great, great thank. I was on this for days and nothing except your post this morning. And now it's OK.

All this time for some "space".

Thanks again.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Alpine7,

Thanks a lot for sharing this solution as it saved me a lot of time having to research it.

MJ

Mohsen Almassud

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Thank you very much, I think I'd never have noticed the trailing space in my database... what an awful bug!
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:43 PM