none
Migrating from Small Buisness Server to Server 2012 on another Domain

Question

• Hi guys, 

We have just acquired a new business. They have 30 users. They are on their own domain. and run an old exchange box as well.

I need to get all users moved over to our domain. We are using a windows 2012 server. I need to move all users to O365.

what is the best way to do this?

Friday, April 21, 2017 11:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Depends a bit on exactly what the requirements are, what their domain is, (if SBS you cannot establish trusts) and what physical locations are.  Do the new users live in the same office/building/campus?  Do you want them to have access to resources in your existing domain?  Via RDP to and RDS server?  Or VPN to file servers?  For email, do you want to keep their domain name or change to yours?  Or use aliases on your email domain?

So... first.  Purchase 30 CALs for your server.  Then, add 30 users to your O365 or purchase new for them.  Then investigate how the new users are going to communicate with your resources.  Disjoin from their domain?  Add a DC in your domain to their location?

You can see your question prompts more questions that answers. do perhaps you should work out what you actually want to have as the end result and consult with an IT Pro in your geo for assistance.  But you can search the web for migration documents and how to documents once it is clear what the end result should be.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Larry.

More information about migrating from on-premises Exchange to O365, Microsoft Exchange Server Deployment Assistant may be helpful:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn756393.aspx

Besides, I would recommend you to contact O365 supporter to confirm with them about the O365 migration details. 

Global Office 365 support phone numbers for admins:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Contact-Office-365-for-business-support-Admin-Help-32a17ca7-6fa0-4870-8a8d-e25ba4ccfd4b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#bkmk_call_support

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2 hours 44 minutes ago