Issues trying to play games that require DirectX 9.0 on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• So I have several games that I enjoy playing once in a while when the current day games just get old. I have tried to install them on my laptop that runs Windows 10 but NONE of them seem to work due to them requiring DirectX 9.0.  My system currently has DirectX 12 and apparently that won't work for these games. I have tried to download DirectX 9.0 but it won't even let me finish the download because it tells me my computer won't allow the download because it has to be Windows 2000 or older. Anybody have an answer for me?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:34 PM

All replies

• You will probably have better luck asking in a forum that deals with Windows 10.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 10:36 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Some applications and games require DirectX 9. However, your computer includes a more recent version of DirectX. If you install and then run an application or game that requires DirectX 9, you might receive an error message such as "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

For more information, please refer to this article:

How to install the latest version of DirectX ("Install DirectX End-User Runtime if your application or game requires an earlier version of DirectX" section)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/179113

in Addition, contact these games' vender to see if there is the latest version that applied to Windows 10.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 16, 2016 7:10 AM