none
Item level targeting not hitting nested security group

Question

• Hi guys,

Got two security groups (A & B). Group B is a member of A.

We've applied item level targeting with security groups. We've chose a bunch of drive maps to apply to Group A (which I was hoping would apply to Group B also.

The drive maps appear for the users of Group A but not Group B. Is this expected behaviour?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:56 AM

Answers

• Nevermind...duhhh moment. Group B was a distribution list...I hope my time wasting helps someone else.
    • Marked as answer by Louds Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:48 AM
    Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi guys,

Got two security groups (A & B). Group B is a member of A.

We've applied item level targeting with security groups. We've chose a bunch of drive maps to apply to Group A (which I was hoping would apply to Group B also.

What is your forest functional level? I am not sure, but if I recall correctly if your forest functional level is 2008 R2, I guess you should experience no problems. Otherwise you need a workaround solution like a custom script and etc.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I've since uncovered something. It's not the group policy but the shares themselves. 

If I put the security settings on a given share as full access to Group A, a member of Group B can't access the share (access denied). If I assign a user which is a member of Group B direct direct security permissions to the share, the user can access the share ok.

The domain functionality level is 2012 R2.

I feel like I'm missing something so obvious but I've been over this so many times and I work with servers daily...

Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:39 AM
  • Nevermind...duhhh moment. Group B was a distribution list...I hope my time wasting helps someone else.
    • Marked as answer by Louds Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:48 AM
    Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:48 AM
  • > Group B was a distribution list...

:D :D :D

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Saturday, March 14, 2015 3:51 PM