VM Create from SSP2.0 SP1 (beta) fails with boot from ISO RRS feed

• Question

• If I create the VM from VMM 2008 R2 it "fails" on "Install VM Components" because there is no o/s yet. But I can then start VM from VMM and boots from ISO just fine.

From SSP it fails with:

Parameters cannot be specified for the guest operating system because the selected template was created as a non-customizable template (-NoCustomization parameter). (Error ID: 730) Please retry the operation without specifying guest operating system parameters.

Have tried with/without a synthetic network adapter and have also tried a custom action without the -Owner $SubmittedBy -ComputerName $vmName -FullName $submittedBy from the New-VM entries in the createvm task.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Stephen,

The Action xml segment which does not have " -Owner $SubmittedBy -ComputerName $vmName -FullName $submittedBy" needs to be associated with Service role in which virtual machines are being created and then select that service role duirng create virtual machine wizard. This should resolve your issue.  You can also refer to "Associating an Action XML Segment with a Service Role" in VMM08R2_VMMSSPExtensibilityGuide.

Thanks,

Santosh..

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen,

The Action xml segment which does not have " -Owner $SubmittedBy -ComputerName $vmName -FullName $submittedBy" needs to be associated with Service role in which virtual machines are being created and then select that service role duirng create virtual machine wizard. This should resolve your issue.  You can also refer to "Associating an Action XML Segment with a Service Role" in VMM08R2_VMMSSPExtensibilityGuide.

Thanks,

Santosh..

Friday, June 24, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Thanks. I was editing the CreateVMTask and making my changes, clicking Save and Close but then navigating to Infrastructure to create the VM. Save and Close doesn't actually save the CreateVMTask until Save (or Save and Close) is selected on the Edit Actions screen.

Works fine now, thanks!

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:29 AM