GPO setting or registry setting to tell remote clients to download updates from MS but report to internal WSUS. RRS feed

• Question

• I have the option Store update files locally on this Server, I have a lot of Internal VDI clients that report and download from WSUS directly.

I cant change the setting on WSUS server. Options>Update files and Languages> Do not store update file locally, computers install from Microsoft Update. I have a lot of VDI machines that report and download the update from WSUS DIRECTLY.

I cant add other new WSUS server, I need use the same Server.

Now I have some clients that work from home, and need that these clients report only to WSUS and after will download updates from MS.

Exist some registry or local group policy in the clients that I can configure to obtain this behavior?

The idea is use only one server for the all Company, some clients report and download from WSUS while the others only report and after it will download from MS.

Maybe I can export some registry to these clients to configure this.

Please I wait your response and help.

Best regards,

Roque.

Monday, April 6, 2020 6:22 PM

All replies

• I cant change the setting on WSUS server. Options>Update files and Languages> Do not store update file locally, computers install from Microsoft Update. I have a lot of VDI machines that report and download the update from WSUS DIRECTLY.

This seems difficult to achieve.
    Although we can control the computer's update behavior through Group Policy, the file storage update source is a WSUS control option. That is to say, this can't be achieved through the group policy to allow clients managed by the same WSUS server, one part gets updates through WSUS and the other part gets updates from Microsoft Update.

It is still the best way to establish a downstream server in replica mode and configure the file storage of the downstream WSUS server as "Do not store update file locally, computers install from Microsoft Update". Although this may not be what you need, please consider such a structure.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 10, 2020 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

Since this thread has not progressed for a long time, the following summary is now provided for reference during later follow-up:

• Issue Symptom
      Different parts of the computer obtain updated binary installation files from different locations.

• Possible Cause
      Technical consulting

• Troubleshooting Steps so far
      Some explanations are provided, because WSUS cannot directly configure the location of the update files for different computers, so it is difficult to achieve.

• Next Step
      Waiting for reply.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 8:01 AM