Unable to "delete" CI RRS feed

• Question

• Cheers,

This started as a test: I created a view based on class "Windows Server" and chose to display all items where status "does not equal - deleted"; expected this to show all servers (w/o deleted ones of course) in the DB.
    As a small test, I right-clicked the view and chose the "Create Windows Server" and created a couple of entries which showed up in the view.

Now, when I select one (or both) of the manually created servers and select "Delete" and acknowledge the warning that they will be removed from the view, NOTHING happens. The two manually created CIs are still present in the view, regardless of how many times I try to delete them. "Funnily" enough they are also present under "Administration->Deleted items" in the console...

If I change the criteria for the view to "object status does not equal - Pending delete" the two servers are not shown.

Anyone got any idea why it behaves like this? I am trying to run a SQL*Server Profiler to see what is going on in the database, but frankly too much is going on for me to spot the exact command marking these two servers as deleted.
    Is there a risk that something is not running correctly here?? I mean... Shouldn't the servers move from "Pending delete" to "Deleted"?

BR,

Nordmann

Monday, March 7, 2011 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hey

CIs are never deleted from the CMDB, they just reach the status "pending delete" (which is not the same as "delete"). if you want to permanently remove CI's from the CMDB you have to do this manually by deleting the objects from the "deleted items" folder or create a workflow for deleting those CI's automatically.

regards
    Marcel

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hey

Here is the "workflow":

1. "Active" --> Object is visible in the appropriate views

2. You delete the object

3. "Pending Delete" --> Object no more visible in views, but under "Deleted Items". It stays there until it is permanently deleted from this place (or of course restored). You can automatically "Bulk Remove" Objects if needed, see here --> http://blog.scsmfaq.ch/2011/03/16/automatically-delete-objects-in-status-pending-delete/

4. You Remove it from the "Deleted Items" Folder

5. The Object is now in Status "Deleted" and stays there until the purging process physically removes it from the DB

regards
    Marcel

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hey

CIs are never deleted from the CMDB, they just reach the status "pending delete" (which is not the same as "delete"). if you want to permanently remove CI's from the CMDB you have to do this manually by deleting the objects from the "deleted items" folder or create a workflow for deleting those CI's automatically.

regards
    Marcel

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Right, I understand that in a relational database it could be pretty disturbing if things were actually deleted. What I am aiming at is this:

The lifecycle of this CI should be something like: Created (manually by me), Marked for deletion when I "delete" it from the GUI (status should now IMHO be "Pending delete"), "removed"/"deleted" when internal housekeeping makes a pass (status should now be deleted).

There would be no point in having the status "Deleted" (and be able to use it as a qualifier in views for instance) if objects were actually removed, so I expected the "Deleted" status to be the "end status" of a CI.

In my case the objects seem to remain in the "Pending delete" state since they do not show up in views where "status not equal to Pending delete" but do show up in views where "status is not Deleted".

I do not understand why the objects are not in status "Deleted" (especially when they are actually visible in the "Deleted items view in the administration pane), and I am worried that there is something "unhealthy" in the installation that is preventing these CIs from ending up in the correct status.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hey

Here is the "workflow":

1. "Active" --> Object is visible in the appropriate views

2. You delete the object

3. "Pending Delete" --> Object no more visible in views, but under "Deleted Items". It stays there until it is permanently deleted from this place (or of course restored). You can automatically "Bulk Remove" Objects if needed, see here --> http://blog.scsmfaq.ch/2011/03/16/automatically-delete-objects-in-status-pending-delete/

4. You Remove it from the "Deleted Items" Folder

5. The Object is now in Status "Deleted" and stays there until the purging process physically removes it from the DB

regards
    Marcel

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:12 PM