Quick launch help RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know how to make quick launch look a bit sexier?

it looks so dull.

and how can I make a space between links? at the moment I'm having to type: -----------------    as a heading to space my links.

it looks awful.

thanks

Sorry this is for Sharepoint 2010... I must have clicked the wrong forum :(

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Short Answer "Custom Master Page/CSS"
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Short reply

where would I find the custom master page?

there appears to be a lot of master pages

thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

If you are not looking for any custom activity (JS, Jquery, Custom webpart etc) then You can open your default master page(by default it is default.master in catalog folder) and .CSS file in designer. Then you can change the color and font size. You just need to find right css class name.

Look below URL's for more information

http://www.sharepointmechanic.com/?p=74

http://www.bjw.co.nz/developer/sharepoint-2010/105-accordion-style-quick-launch-on-sharepoint-2010

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:25 AM
  • thank you
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:54 PM
  • While Hemendra's response/references are technically absolutely correct, you need to take some very important things into considerations as even the smallest changes in Standard components in SharePoint can potentially make them "unghosted" (i.e. make them your site/site collection specific) which potentially may have some far reaching implications to be considered:

- Maintenance: even the smallest misguided, however well-intentional, changes can cause havoc to the whole site collection. So ensure that appropriate technical expertise exist to change and debug any changes.

- Governance : If your organization is currently (or planning to) manage their own branding, your site/site collection will be on its own. Unghosting may take out the simplest governed ("centrally managed") mechanism to push it out to everybody.

- Upgrade nightmares for you and your IT staff. 

So all said and done, I would strongly suggest you to think/discuss master pages/css changes with appropriate stakeholders, before moving forward with changes.

Good luck.

Some relevant references:

To Unghost or To Not Unghost, That Is the Question!

Are we still dealing with Ghosting and Unghosting Pages Nightmare in 2010?

Bin Search Results on topic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If the reply was helpful or informative, please remember to mark it as answer or vote as helpful.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:20 PM