Automatic client push retry clarification RRS feed

• Question

• I have traditionally used machine startup scripts for client installation after the initial deployment so trying to get a definitive answer on Automatic Client push.  I know that it will retry the client install for a discovered resource for up to 7 days.  

My question is, if a machine is offline for 8 days say, and then comes back online but has missed the 7 day window, will SCCM ever attempt to install the client on that machine again?

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• You should never rely on just one method, as there are always going to be systems that have issues that your one desired client installation method won't be able to reach. So multiple ways are usually necessary. The Software Update-based Client Installation method works great also, assuming that you have a working software update point (WSUS environment).

Wally Mead

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:17 PM

All replies

• If I remember correctly, the next time it is discovered it would be seen as a system that is not a client, and should be, so would try again. Someone can clarify if I'm remembering correctly, but that's what I recall.

Wally Mead

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Thanks Wally.  When you state the next time its discovered, does this mean it would need to purged from the database, thus generating a new ddr, or when discovery runs and its already an object in the database it will determine that the existing device doesn't have a client thus create a new ccr?
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:51 PM
  • I *think* that it would need to be a new system discovered, not a refresh, but I don't remember for sure. I want to say that this behavior changed in one of the releases, and I don't remember for sure. I'm sure someone else will clarify one way or another.

Wally Mead

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Thank Wally.  Hopefully someone else can chime in as well.  :-)  Congrats on the new job BTW!
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Just test it in your lab. It will only take one week until you've got the results ;-)
    I don't know the answer, but I think that Wally's asumption is right.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Hah.  Thanks Torsten.  Sounds like the moral of this story is that we cannot rely strictly on Automatic Client Push to get client saturation in scenarios as described above.  That's a bummer.  Time to dust off the machine startup script...
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:56 PM
  • You should never rely on just one method, as there are always going to be systems that have issues that your one desired client installation method won't be able to reach. So multiple ways are usually necessary. The Software Update-based Client Installation method works great also, assuming that you have a working software update point (WSUS environment).

Wally Mead

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:17 PM