Azure DPs vs Intune RRS feed

• Question

• I am a bit confused on which technology I want to use and need some help in deciding. 

I am looking at managing all my laptops, both domain joined and remote non-domain joined and I initially thought that Intune would work out great for this, but it seems that using an Azure DP would be more suitable. 

Intune seems to have a lack of management capabilities for PCs and is much more geared toward MDM. Therefore, I think it would behoove me to stay with SCCM for managing them, but be able to offer the remote laptops a way to reach SCCM content from the cloud without having to connect to the corporate VPN every time. 

Can someone please provide some more clarification on this?

Also, can I use the same application model to distribute apps to an Azure DP just like I do for on-prem DPs?

Thank you 

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:29 PM

Answers

• Yes. You cannot use a cloud-based distribution point to host software update packages.

You can look at configuring the clients to fall back to Microsoft Updates instead (setting on the software update group deployment in down settings tab)

If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Sunday, June 19, 2016 7:06 AM

All replies

• Have you looked at IBCM (Internet Based Client Management)? You can manage the clients and also have a distribution point. There is an overview of it here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt629422.aspx and plenty of guides on the web.

Azure DP is for clients to locate content when on the Internet. They have the following limitations https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/gg712321.aspx#BKMK_PlanCloudDPs

Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi

on the Intune part are there 2 ways to mange a PC.

1) PC management is only for Intune standalone. The PC management is with a Intune client, that's provide the PC with software update, endpoint protection, software management. And also MDM management.

2) Intune In a hybrid scenario with SCCM is for MDM, and Windows 10 management is only with the limited MDM stack

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Sunday, June 19, 2016 6:26 AM
  • IBCM requires additional on-prem configuration like PKI and my company is NOT wanting to invest time, resources, and money into projects for that since they are looking to transition as much as possible to cloud management technologies. 

WOW!

Those are some serious limitations to Azure based DPs, so much so that it will probably preclude us from using it. 

Am I reading this right that software update packages cannot be distributed to a cloud based DP? 

I use Pull DPs in my environment so this won't work. 

Sunday, June 19, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Yes. You cannot use a cloud-based distribution point to host software update packages.

You can look at configuring the clients to fall back to Microsoft Updates instead (setting on the software update group deployment in down settings tab)

Sunday, June 19, 2016 7:06 AM