none
'Unknown Error has occured' when trying to Import SQL Server Analysis Services KPIs with Dashboard Designer

Question

• Hi

We have three servers - one for SQL Server(Database Engine, Analysis Services and Reporting Services) and on the second is Monitoring Server (here is installed Dashboard Designer) and on third is Sharepoint Server.

I try to create new Scorecard with Dashboard Designer from Analysis Services template.

I select 'Import SQL Server Analysis Services KPIs' and on next step receive

'An unknown error has occured.If the problem persists contact an administrator.There may be additional information in the server application event log.'

In the log is

'System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.ImportExportHelper.GetImportableAsKpis(IBpm pmService, DataSource asDataSource)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.PmServer.GetImportableAsKpis(DataSource dataSource)'

On Monitoring Server we have ADOMD.NET installed

How to resolve this issue.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:17 AM

Answers

• Please check to make sure the correct version of ADOMD.Net is installed.  I think you can tell by doing the following:

1. Using Windows Explorer, go to the folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\ADOMD.NET\90
    2. In that folder should be a file called "Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.dll"
    3. Right-click the file and select "Properties"
    4. In the "Other Version" information box in the lower portion of the dialog is an item called "Assembly Version".  Click that and you should see a version of "9.0.242.0".

If you have any other version I would suggest re-installing ADOMD.Net 9.0 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en

Regards,

Tim

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• On the left hand xtreme corner u'll find an icon....click on the icon and try to connect...It will give u an error....It means itz a connection problem.

So, make sure that the port number and also the connection is correct.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:02 AM
  • I can connect to Analysis Services, because I can use the other option - Create KPIs from SQL Server Analysis Services measures

Thanks

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:09 AM
  • Does the refresh button work for you??

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Yes, the refresh is working

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Then I guess it must be some security issue in the cube...Check whether the user has got adequate permisions to import KPI's from SSAS

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:30 AM
  • My user has server role for Analysis Services and Administrator for Monitoring, so I don't think this is security issue

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:38 AM
  • Please check to make sure the correct version of ADOMD.Net is installed.  I think you can tell by doing the following:

1. Using Windows Explorer, go to the folder: C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\ADOMD.NET\90
    2. In that folder should be a file called "Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.dll"
    3. Right-click the file and select "Properties"
    4. In the "Other Version" information box in the lower portion of the dialog is an item called "Assembly Version".  Click that and you should see a version of "9.0.242.0".

If you have any other version I would suggest re-installing ADOMD.Net 9.0 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en

Regards,

Tim

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:12 PM
  • Hi Morgan,

Assembly Version is exactly "9.0.242.0".

Thanks

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:47 PM
  •  

I am also getting this error and checked my assembly version and it is the correct version.  I also found an article on Importing SSAS 2005 KPIs into the Dashboard Designer that stated that the PerformancePoint Server Web Service must reside on a server that also has the Microsoft.AnalysisServices.dll installed.  Does installing Microsoft ADOMD.NET take care of this requirement?
    Monday, March 24, 2008 12:53 PM
  • Hi

We have ADOMD.NET installed on our Monitoring Server, but AnalysisServices.dll is not there.

For now we are using two topology architecture:

-SharePoint Server

-Monitoring Server and SQL Server(Database Engine, Analysis, Integration)

With this topology we don't have any problems.

I think AnalysisServices.dll  is installed with Analysis Services, but I'm not sure.For now I don't have time to research the issue.

Hope it helps Krasimir

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having exact the same situation as the topic starter. I recieve the unkown error, when I'm trying to import SSAS KPI's from the cube. I can start a new topic, but following up on this topic seems more proper - if not, let me know.

We've got 3 servers here:

• SSAS Server with cube
    • MOSS Server with PPS M&A
    • SQL Server with datawarehouse as source for the SSAS cube

The ADOMD.NET dll is present on the MOSS Server. I'm developing in the Dashboard Designer on the MOSS Server.

Trying to open the Dashboard Designer on the SSAS Server and import the KPI's did not help either.

Can anyone (perhaps from MS) shed a light on this situation, I have got time to look deeply into this and I really would like to solve this issue!

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:42 AM
  • The DLL that you really need present is Microsoft.AnalysisServices.DLL, usually found under "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\SDK\Assemblies".

If you don't have that DLL, then run the SQL Server install on the server where PPS M&A is installed (your MOSS server).  When you get to the "Components to Install", select only "Workstation components, Books Online, and development tools".  I think that will get you the DLL you need without doing a full SQL Server install.

• Proposed as answer by Dan English Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:13 AM
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Thank you for your reply! I will check this the first time I've got the opportunity.

You will here from me.

Friday, October 10, 2008 8:10 AM