VPN PEER TO PEER/ SITE TO SITE CONNECTION RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to connect two offices together and have the computers in each office view the documents on the shared folder. Each office has a Cisco VPN firewall router.

It looks like the connection between the two offices are working. I ping both servers (main shared computers on each side) and I am receiving a response back. However, I cannot see the actually computer or shared folder.

Cisco support stated that if I set up a peer-to-peer connection, the computers on one end does not need a user name and password to connect to the main shared document folder on the other end. Is this true? Also, is there something else that I should do as for as configuration or installation that I may have not done?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

•   If the site to site link is configured correctly the setup will operate just like any two subnets connected by a router (in your case a slow one).

You will have routing but you won't have computer browsing like you do on a single LAN (because that depends on LAN broadcasts, which don't cross the VPN link). Browsing a segmented network is very tricky without a domain setup and WINS.

Bill

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Thank you for the information. However, it still does not address my initial question or give me a solution of how to succeed.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:50 PM