none
Integrity check RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I need some help ...

I am doing an certification procedure for an aplication based on windows POSREADY 2009.

One of requirements is also integrity check of operating system. This means, that there must be an application, which confirm that installed OS is identical to one stored in safe. Enyone has an idea how to do this? 

I thing one way is to do crc check of some critical static system files ... but don't know which ones ...

Thank you for your help!

kind regareds,

Peter

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:41 AM

Answers

• Slot machine companies do a CRC check on the Windows OS. It could be a service that does a byte-by-byte of the boot disk.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:19 PM

All replies

• Slot machine companies do a CRC check on the Windows OS. It could be a service that does a byte-by-byte of the boot disk.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Hi,
    How do you do CRC check on the Windows OS?
    I badly need to know this.
    Thank you.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Some companies employ a Linux kernel to do the CRC check. Ideally it would be great if the UEFI firmware did this, but it appears not to be available.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Hi Sean, Sorry I'm still newbie in embedded.
    Do you mean the Windows Subsystem for Linux(WSL)?
    Does secure boot consider as integrity check?
    Tuesday, December 24, 2019 12:38 AM
  • An actual Linux distro outside of Windows and not WSL. I have only worked with companies that have implemented this already so I am not familiar with the specific implementation.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 3:28 PM
  • I see, maybe I need to do a Dual-Boot. And then maybe do hashing on grub.

Do other companies use only Windows 10 Embedded for their gaming industries? without using actual Linux distro?

Sunday, December 29, 2019 3:41 AM
  • Some create their own boot loader CRC check solution.

Thursday, January 2, 2020 4:14 PM
  • Okay, so the best path to take for windows embedded is to create a boot loader and perform CRC check right?
    What I research, Boot loader is in the middle of BIOS and OS boot. So If a perform CRC check during boot loader I can get consistent CRC value?
    Monday, January 6, 2020 12:15 PM
  • Hi Sean,

On Linux,
    there's a function like this

dd if=image of=/dev/sda bs=xxx count=xxx | md5sum

Is this integrity checking?

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 10:58 AM
  • I have only used dd to install Linux images. 

Monday, January 13, 2020 6:57 PM