Caller ID. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had a missed call from the Skype, but I guess it was a temporary number. Can I find the Skype ID from the phone number?

Thank you. 

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 12:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Greek!

In my research, you cannot find the Skype ID by that private number.

When your telephone is called from a Skype account, the caller (that is, the Skype account owner) has three choices as to what caller ID you will see on your mobile phone or your caller ID-enabled fixed phone:

1)By default, it will show no caller ID. It will show as a call from a private number. You will not be able to distinguish that the caller is calling from a Skype account, but you'll know it's not one of your regular friends calling.

2) The Skype account owner can assign one of his own (verified) numbers, such as his mobile number, as his caller ID. So you will see the call as coming from the caller's mobile phone.

3) The Skype account owner can assign one of his Skype Numbers, so you will see the caller ID as his Skype number when he calls you.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Geek!

Which product do you use, Skype or Skype for Business? It is two different products.

In Skype, if you haven't saved the phone number as one of your contacts in Skype, there is no option to know who called you up. It depends on the privacy of your caller. The caller could set up their Caller ID to show their identity whenever they call you up on your Skype Number.

In Skype for Business, you get its data from several sources to display Caller ID Information from:  

1. Carrier - This is the caller's carrier and what they are providing

2. S4B Client App - This is comprised of Favorites and recent contacts as well the S4B client contact list

2. Outlook/Exchange - The contact databases from these sources

3. O365 SharePoint/Azure AD/Client Local AD - These contact databases help but aren't the main source

For more details, you can refer to the following link:

https://www.uc.solutions/Skype_for_Business/Skype_for_Business_Client/General/Where_Does_Skype_For_Business_get_Its_Caller_ID_Information_From%3F

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:36 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I just use Skype.

I meant was, someone dialed my cell phone number, but the caller ID was a private number. I want to know, Can I find the Skype ID by that private number?

Sunday, December 15, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Hi Greek!

In my research, you cannot find the Skype ID by that private number.

When your telephone is called from a Skype account, the caller (that is, the Skype account owner) has three choices as to what caller ID you will see on your mobile phone or your caller ID-enabled fixed phone:

1)By default, it will show no caller ID. It will show as a call from a private number. You will not be able to distinguish that the caller is calling from a Skype account, but you'll know it's not one of your regular friends calling.

2) The Skype account owner can assign one of his own (verified) numbers, such as his mobile number, as his caller ID. So you will see the call as coming from the caller's mobile phone.

3) The Skype account owner can assign one of his Skype Numbers, so you will see the caller ID as his Skype number when he calls you.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:37 AM