Discovering the Secret behind slow file management. RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Vista this weekend and noticed that it takes a VERY long time to delete, move and copy files.

This morning, I had to leave the computer to "calculate" and "delete" a folder while I went out for a couple of hours. When I got home, It wasn't even finished yet!

Yes, the copy/delete/move feature in Vista is extremely annoying. However, in my opinion, this is the work of a cunning strategist. Why? The 'bugs' are shipped  so that we need their fixes, service packs and maintenance. We can downgrade to XP if we want to, but that os will not longer be supported therefore, we are forced to go to Vista and deal with the issues and wait for MS to tell us what to do next. Which gives more control to them.

We also have the option to go to other operating systems such as Linux and Macs if we want to and start the learning curve from there, which just takes time and money. Then you'll have to adjust to all the new software, games, office products and operating systems.

In a nutshell, no matter  whether you like Microsoft or not, the more you use their products, the more control they have of you, the more control they have of you, the more money they make... which is the life blood of any successful multibillion dollar business that survives for decades against all worldwide changes. It's the little things like this that makes a man the richest and most charitable man in the world.

Well done!
    Monday, October 1, 2007 3:41 AM

All replies

• Have you loaded the hotfixes for Vista? There is one that deals with exactly the issue you talk about.

If you are only here to complain about the fact that operating systems are not released in a perfect state then I can't help you since Linux and Mac are just as imperfect as Vista. That is why they all need occasional updating.

It also sounds as if you may be running Vista on under-powered hardware, what are your PCs specs?

HTH,

Tim

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Hi Tim, thanks for the response. I will install the fixes for Vista and I'm sure it will work. My system should be fine, if not, i'll upgrade to the latest components. Thanks for that.

In response to your comment about "complaining", I won't take that personally because you are employed to say things, i'm sure your comment would be entirely different if you lost your job at Microsoft.

Thanks

Kwabee
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:41 AM
  • Which Hot Fix??? And should not the supposed hot fix be on Windows update or in SP1?

Tell us if you know; as my Vista X64 with a smoking Machine is snal slow for any type of file management. My Machine is extreamely fast with XP Pro, so hardware is not the problem.

Added Below. July 16th, 2008 at 2:37 PM central standard time

Check this link for sata hard drive problems or how to speed it up, could be some of the file management problems.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/09/03/improve-sata-serial-ata-hard-disk-drive-speed-performance-in-vista/

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:35 PM
  • This Hotfix?

SP1 is supposed to have resolved this issue. However if you are still facing a problem, check out freeware TeraCopy.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:18 PM
  •  The Fix's = Its a SMOKING FAST Vista???????

Faster Vista

File Management Fixed and all issues fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At my site listed below go to File Renaming fixed and look and see.

CAUTION do not add this to Microsoft knowledge base, my information on my site.

ADDED July 28th 2008, at 8:00 Am Central standard time. Will take a couple of hours to add to this page try at 10:00 Am central standard time.

Go to link at: http://bibwoe.com/1/InfoPages/VistaTweaks/tabid/84/Default.aspx

Good Day And Blessings

Don W. Boulton II

Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:56 PM