Windows XP SP3 installed on a Dell laptop using a solid state drive (w/BSOD) RRS feed

• Question

• This is one of four computers we have with solid state drives, we primarily use them on the road and they're all identical in every way (hardware & software-wise).

This BSOD cannot be Google'd so it's a safe bet to say nobody has ever heard of it but I don't know enough of Microsoft's code to decipher each piece of the stop error.

0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8680FDA0, 0x8680FF14, 0x805D2954)

It seems random, has only happened once (to my knowledge) and I cannot re-create the issue.

It happened when the computer was sitting idle at the log on screen.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

Regards,

-BombRun

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:23 PM

All replies

• If its only happend once and cannot be re-created, i wouldnt worry too much about it. But here is what MS has to say about it.

The CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION bug check has a value of 0x000000F4. This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

The following actions might prevent an error like this from happening again:

1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
    2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
    3. Check your hard disk for errors.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560372(v=VS.85).aspx

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:21 PM
  • Thank you Chunks_

It has happend again this time the error is:

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0X00000003, 0X88B2A6A8, 0X88B2A81C, 0X805D2954)

It is on the network and we'll see if we can push any updates it may have missed

We do have an up-to-date antivirus that when a new definition is found it is immediately deployed to our users

The hard disk is a solid state drive

//

If you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

-BombRun

Thursday, December 9, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Interestingly I just began experiencing a similar problem. This is on a Dell E4300 with a Segate 160 GB spinning disc drive. My BSOD is

0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8A06F3B8, 0x8A06F52C, 0x805D2954).

Since early December, I have experienced 2-3 BSOD's per day. The BSOD is always preceded by a couple of minutes of solid access of the hard drive.

The first thing I am trying to figure out is whether this suggests a problem with the hard drive or some software matter. I hate to replace the hard drive only to have the problem continue. It isn't easy for me to make an image copy of the hard drive to a new hard drive because my computer has software encryption on it (Ultimaco SafeGuard Easy).  Hence, the computer will have to be re-imaged by my IT department and then I will have to reinstall all the additional software on it.  I would be glad to do that if it makes the BSOD go away but if the BSOD isn't caused by the disc drive, I hate wasting the time and effort.

Anyone know what to look for as evidence of a hard drive problem. I did run the boot up diagnostics on the Dell and no evidence of hard drive problems were indicated. Nor did chckdsk /R indicate any bad sectors.  This is what makes me thing this particular BSOD isn't caused by a bad hard drive.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:09 PM
  • First I used to have a comparable problem with my older nforce 4 motherboard and XP.

I did not have your advanced hardware but changing the standby mode to S3 eliminated most of the problem.

A portion of the problem is using the motherboard manufacturer driver. And not updating to the latest chip-set driver. Older systems from Via can be flaky. just observing the reports on the net.

Your description does not mention where the drive is placed. Traditionally hard drives need to be placed as master on an PATA connection. And occasionally SATA as well.

As long as you have the cover off. Take a look with your system powered down. At the physical connections of the cabling. Both the data cable and the power cable. And the connections on your hard drive. And of course chase out any of the live dust bunny's present.

You do not mention what style of case you have. But air flow management and blocking the airflow can heat up a system. As well as new hard ware additions add to the heat within the case. As well as a proper size power supply. I have maintained houses that have electrical issues not supplying enough power,

It might be the version of the encryption software is corrupting your system. I don't know about this. But a possibility worth checking into any available updates..

Any It department worth its salt and create an image for your system with the updates integrated into the install and create the answer file and preserve the activation of the OS. and save some time. 

Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:54 AM