none
Cannot create a protection group: "DPM cannot access the path..." RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to backup a Windows 7 Ultimate client machine using DPM and have run into a number of problems.  While most have been raised as topics in these forums, there is a new one I just encountered.

Background: I had previously configured the client system to have a DPM "Client" backup, but neding to backup about 1 TB proved to be a real problem.  (Over a week continuously running, and it had not even completed one sync.)  So I uninstalled the DPM Client from the Windows 7 system, stopped the protection group in DPM (and deleted the data), and did an uninstall in the management tab.  So in theory, everything should have been cleaned up.

Well... in theory...

After installing the DPM agent again on the Windows 7 system (successfully) I then added the computer to be managed.  Also successfully.  However, the problem showed up when I attempted to create a protection group for the computer.

I was able to select the computer and drives to be backed up.  However, when I get to the point to "Review Disk Allocation" I get a popup error window with the following information:

DPM cannot access the path \\?\Volume{343036fb-6785-11e0-9410-001e689b30b7}\ because part of the path has been deleted or renamed.

Check the path and enter it again.

ID: 36
    Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A93

I get a similar error for the second drive.

As far as I can see, there is no way for me, using DPM, to do much of anything with the partitions being used by DPM for storage.  There is also the question of why DPM would be complaining about a deleted or renamed path on a *new* protection grou creation.

Since I have tried different ways and several times to get backups going for this client system, is it possible there is "left over stuff" somewhere on the DPM Server?  Registry, database, etc.?

As it stands now, I am completely unable to use DPM to backup this client system.

Oh yes, this is DPM 2010.

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:33 PM

Answers

• I was just able to check the backups.  It took a while, but the backups of both disks succeeded.

So just to summarize, for anyone doing a search...

The root cause of the problem was:

1. Having a Windows 7 system being backed up as a "Server" on an existing DPM Server (DPM A).  This was being done because of the amount of data to backup; about 800 Gb.
    2. Creating a new DPM Server (DPM B).
    3. Adding DPM A to a protection group on DPM B.
    4. Uninstalling (decomissioning) the DPM Server on DPM A.

This left the information regarding the Windows 7 system in the DPM B database in an inconsistant state; because DPM A had been decomissioned.  (If DPM A had not been decomissioned, and remained a secondary DPM Server, this whole "problem" woud exist.)  To remove the incorrect state information for the Windows 7 system required the application of a SQL script (earlier in this thread) to be executed on the DPMDB database on DPM B.

I expect if I had uninstalled the DPM Server software on DPM A prior to adding the system to a protection group on DPM B, this "problem" would have been avoided.  (I.e., switching the order steps 3 and 4 in the list above.)  The system was aded because DPM A was also running IIS to host several web sites which needed to be backed up.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark.

Jsut to summarize.

You started protecting that Win7 as client protection. You stopped protection (Deleted the data) and started over.

You are now trying to protect this Win7 as server where nothing was changed on the client side (like new disks, etc).

When you get into the Review Disk Allocation you get an error. This error shows up @ the time you reach that window or when you click next?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Hi Wilson.

The error shows up as the "Review Disk Allocation" window is doing the space calculations.

Here's the scenario:

1. Stop the DPM protection group (and delete the disk data) for the "current" client backup.
    2. Uninstall the DPM Agent code on the client machine.
    3. In the DPM management tab, uninstall the client.
    4. Install the DPM agent in the client from DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe, specifying the domain name of the DPM Server.
    5. In the DPM Management tab, I attach to the DPM agent on the client.
    6. In the DPM Protection tab, I attempt to create a new protection group.
    7. After selecting the client in the "Select Group Members" window, I get the following popup message boxes: A) "You have chosed to protect replicas on another DPM Server..." ID: 148 and when I click "OK" B) "One or more of the selected data sources are already configured..." ID: 31162.
    8. I then click "Next" in the "Select Data Protection Method" window.
    9. I then click "Next" in the "Specify Short-Term Goals" window.
    10. It is as it is calculating the disk space in the "Review Disk Allocation" window that I get the ID: 36/0x80990a93 errors for both devices.
    11. When both of these error popups are dismissed, the "Next" button has been disabled.  So my only options are to go back, cancel, or get help.

One possibly important piece of the puzzle is the client I'm trying to backup was previously being backed on another (subsequently decomissioned [DPM Server software uninstalled]) computer.  Which, even though the software was uninstalled, the new DPM server "senses" the presence of DPM on that system.  (The DPM icon shows up along with the system name in the "Select Group Members" window.)

The server systems are all Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 systems.

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Thanks for the update...

Try this. 

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the DPM instance
    2. Click on New Query
    3. Paste the t-SQL script below into the query window. Click on Execute to run the script (certify that you selected DPMDB)

Note: Because you will be running a SQL script it is advised to backup the DPMDB before executing it. You can accomplish that by running DPMBACKUP -DB

Update these two lines from the script below where @PrimaryDPMName is the decomissioned DPM Server and #PSName is the name of our Win 7 client

SET @PrimaryDPMName = 'dpm1.contoso.com'  --replace with original primary dpm server name
    SET @PSName = 'productionserver.contoso.com'  -- replace with protected server name you want to cleanup

-- COPY SCRIPT STARTING HERE --
    -- Script to cleanup 'secondary protection history' from a DPM server
    USE DPMDB
    DECLARE @PrimaryDPMName NVARCHAR(400)
    DECLARE @PSName NVARCHAR(400)
    -- Provide the actual values below before running. 
    -- @PrimaryDPMName is the name of the DPM server which was protecting this PS primarily.
    -- @PSName is the name of the production server for which the history has to be cleaned up. 
    --  In the case of a clustered resource, you need to run the power shell script a minimum of three times and change the @PSname variable to include:
         -- Node1.domain.com
         -- Node2.domain.com
         -- Cluster-resource.cluster.domain.com
    SET @PrimaryDPMName = 'dpm1.contoso.com'  --replace with original primary dpm server name
    SET @PSName = 'productionserver.contoso.com'  -- replace with protected server name you want to cleanup
    -- Step 1:
    -- Check whether all the datasources from the PS of interest are in stop 
    -- protected state on not.
    -- Get the Secondary DPM Server ID
    DECLARE @SecondaryDPMServerId Guid
    DECLARE @error INT
    SET @error = 0
    SELECT @SecondaryDPMServerId = ServerId
    FROM tbl_AM_Server
    WHERE ServerId = DPMServerId
    AND IsDPM = 1
    AND MarkedForDeletion = 0
    SELECT @error = dbo.udf_DPS_CheckRowCount(1)
    IF (@error <> 0)
    BEGIN
        PRINT 'Could not get the secondary DPM ServerId. Aborting.'
        GOTO _Exit
    END
    -- Get the Primary DPM Server ID
    DECLARE @PrimaryDPMServerId Guid
    SET @error = 0
    SELECT @PrimaryDPMServerId = ServerId
    FROM tbl_AM_Server
    WHERE DPMServerId = @SecondaryDPMServerId
    AND ServerId <> @SecondaryDPMServerId
    AND ServerName = @PrimaryDPMName
    AND IsDPM = 1
    IF (@error <> 0)
    BEGIN
        PRINT 'Could not get the primary DPM ServerId for server ' + @PrimaryDPMName + '. Aborting.'
        GOTO _Exit
    END

-- Locate the PS of interest
    DECLARE @ServerId Guid
    SET @error = 0
    SELECT @ServerId = ServerId 
    FROM tbl_AM_Server
    WHERE ServerName = @PSName
    IF (@error <> 0)
    BEGIN
        PRINT 'Could not find the production server '+ @PSName + '. Aborting.'
        GOTO _Exit
    END

-- Get all the datasources protected from this server
    DECLARE @ProtectedDSCount INT 
    SET @ProtectedDSCount = 0
    SELECT @ProtectedDSCount = COUNT(DS.DataSourceId)
    FROM tbl_IM_DataSource DS
    WHERE DS.ProtectedGroupId IS NOT NULL
    AND DS.ServerId = @ServerId
    IF (@ProtectedDSCount <> 0)
    BEGIN
        SELECT 'Following datasources are actively protected.' +
               ' Execute this script after stopping their protection with retain data.'
        AS ErrorMessage
        SELECT DS.DataSourceName AS Datasource,  
            AM.ServerName AS OnServer, 
            PG.FriendlyName AS ProtectedInPG
        JOIN tbl_AM_Server AM
            ON AM.ServerId = DS.ServerId  
        JOIN tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup PG
            ON PG.ProtectedGroupId = DS.ProtectedGroupId
        WHERE DS.ProtectedGroupId IS NOT NULL

GOTO _Exit
    END
    -- Step 2:
    -- Cleanup the tables
    -- Delete the DatasourceVolume entries corresponding to the PS-datasource and
    -- PrimaryDPM-replicavolume
    SET @error = 0
    DELETE tbl_IM_DatasourceVolume
    FROM tbl_IM_DatasourceVolume DsVol
    JOIN tbl_IM_Volume Vol
        ON DsVol.VolumeId = Vol.VolumeId
    JOIN tbl_IM_DPMDatasourceReplicaProperties DSProp
        ON DsVol.DataSourceId = DSProp.DataSourceId
    JOIN tbl_IM_DataSource DS
        ON DS.DataSourceId = DSProp.DataSourceId
    WHERE DSProp.ServerId = @PrimaryDPMServerId
    AND Vol.ServerId = @PrimaryDPMServerId
    SELECT @error = @@ERROR 
    IF (@error > 0) 
    BEGIN
        PRINT 'Could not clean up the DatasourceVolume entries.' 
        PRINT 'Errorcode: ' + CAST(@error AS varchar(10))
        GOTO _Exit  
    END
    -- Delete the entries in tbl_IM_DPMDatasourceReplicaProperties
    SET @error = 0
    DELETE tbl_IM_DPMDatasourceReplicaProperties
    JOIN tbl_IM_DPMDatasourceReplicaProperties DSProp
        ON DS.DataSourceId = DSProp.DataSourceId
    WHERE DSProp.ServerId = @PrimaryDPMServerId
    SELECT @error = @@ERROR 
    IF (@error > 0) 
    BEGIN
        PRINT 'Could not clean up the DPMDatasourceReplicaProperties table. ' 
        PRINT 'Errorcode:' + CAST(@error AS varchar(10))
    END
    _Exit:  

PRINT 'Exiting..'
    -- COPY SCRIPT ENDS HERE --

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi Wilson.

I'll give the script a try, although I do have a question about it.

I'm curious as to why the DPM SQL database would have information for more than a single server?  In my case, the old decomissioned DPM server had a local (to the server) SQL Server instance of the DPM database.  The new DPM server is a fresh install of W2K8R2 (on new hardwaqre) as well as SCDPM, so it has a separate SQL Server instance.  (The server which was running DPM was also running IIS for several web sites so the system is still in use; it is just DPM which has been uninstalled.)

Would/could the information about the other (old) DPM server get into the new instance by virtue of trying to back up the same client and/or backing up the decomissioned server?

I've been a software engineer too long :-) :-) :-)

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Hi Mark,

If these DPMs new about each other (like attaching DPM agent from DPM A on DPM B) their SQL tables will have some shared information.

This is due to the way DPM 2010 deals with secondary protection.

Example:

1. DPM A is protection Server A

2. DPM B is installed and a DPM Agent is attached to DPM A (from DPM B, under Management/Agents you see DPM a on its list)

3. A this point, DPM B will know what is being protected by DPM A.

4. You know decide to take DPM A out of the picture and device to Protect Server A with DPM B.

5. When you try to create the protection group or modify an existing one to add Server A, DPM B will tell you that Server A is/was being protected by another DPM Server.

In DPM 2010, if you have primary/secondary DPM relationship, the way to move protection from DPM A to DPM B is via DPM UI/PowerShell. If for whatever reason this can't be done (like DPM A crash) then the option is to update SQL tables by running the provided SQL script. The DPM team is aware of this scenario and they are working on a way to avoid or deal with this behavior from happening.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Wilson.

OK.  I think I follow what you are saying.  Although my situation is/was a bit different.  Here was the DPM Server scenario (as near as I can remember; unfortunately, I didn't note all the details) prior to all the client problems.  One curiousity, this scenario only affected the one client (sort of "server" for the backups) system.  The other real server (W2K8R2) systems had no problems.

1. DPM A was in operation and running fine... until I ran out of disk space in the storage pool.  It was "running" this was for a while; until I got a new machine with more disk space.
    2. I configured the new system, and installed DPM.  Call this system DPM B.
    3. On DPM A, I stopped all protection and uninstalled all the DPM agents.  For everything except the Windows 7 system.  The agent (in the management tab) was sort of "stuck" in a strange state where it could not be uninstalled.  I went to the actual system and uninstalled the DPM agent software.
    4. I then started adding all the servers previously backed up by DPM A.  These were all added without any problems.  It was shortly after this I noticed the DPM icon accociated with DPM A.
    5. I then uninstalled the DPM Server software from DPM A.  Even though the software was uninstalled, DPM B still thinks of the server as DPM A.

It was right around this time, I tried adding the Windows 7 system to DPM B.  Unfortunately, I can't remember if I first tried the addition to DPM B before or after I uninstalled the DPM Server software from DPM A.  Although given the strange things I'm seeing, and your post above, it was probably before.

If I remember correctly, I tried backing up the Windows 7 system as a "Server" (on DPM B) and ran into the problems identified in this post.  I then tried to back up the system as a "Client".  While it looked like it worked, because of the amount of data on the system to backup up, it had not created the initial sync point after running continuously for many days.  (The subject of another of my posts.)  So I stopped the "Client" backup and tried to do the "Server" backup again.  The current/latest attempt showing the same problems as the initial attempt on DPM B.

In any event, I'll give the script a try.   Although I'll poke around the SQL tables as well to get an idea of how things are "linked" together before I have it remove anything.  (As much for my own curiousity as anything else.)

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hi Mark,

You can run the PowerShell code below from DPM Shell and see if the old DPM server shows up in that list.

Get-ProductionServer (&hostname) | sort-object netbiosname | ft netbiosname, ishavingdatasourcesprotected, issecondarydpmnode, isdpminstalled -auto
    If it does this means that agent from DPM B was deployed on DPM A

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:23 PM
  • OK.  I ran the script.  There were a few things which concerned me.  To start with, I set PrimaryDPMName to be the domain name of the decomissioned DPM server.  I then set PSName to be the domain name of the new DPM server.

The first time I ran the script, I got the "Following datasources are actively protected..."  I then went into the DPM GUI and stopped the protection on the listed members with retain data.  (Now the members, all of which were on the new DPM server, are inactive.)

The second time I ran the script, I not no errors, but two select queries resulted in 0 rows being identified.

OK, so now it comes time to reactivate the members, and when I go ino the "Modify Protection Group" wizard and try to add back the (inactive) server and protection group members, the wizard fails saying there is not enough disk space available to add the server & members.

So, before I try anything else... did I screw something up?

BTW, I have screen captures showing the SQL runs.

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:08 PM
  • OK.  I ran the script.  There were a few things which concerned me.  To start with, I set PrimaryDPMName to be the domain name of the decomissioned DPM server.  I then set PSName to be the domain name of the new DPM server.

You should had used the name of the server you were trying to protect not the current DPM server.

Did you create a backup of your DPMDB before running the SQL Query?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Yes.  I did create a backup.  I guess I did a major OOPS.  :-}

That was one point of the SQL script, it wasn't really sure which DPM server should go with which SQL variable.

Once I figure out how to restore the DPM backup, which variable should have the old/decomissioned DPM server and which should have the new/current DPM server?

Will restoring the DPM DB "fix" the inactive protection "problem"?

Also, I did run the Get-ProductionServer cmdlet, and got the expected results.

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Restoring the DB will bring you up to the original point.

To restore the DB.

1. Stop DPM service

2. From CMD.EXE type in: DPMSYNC -restoreDB -Dbloc <location of your dpmdb.bak>

That's all you need if SQL was installed by DPM.

3. Once the restore is complete, type in: DPMSYNC -SYNC

That's it.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Will do it now.

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Just to make sure... on my DPM Server, I have 6 running "DPM" services (DPM, AccessManager, Agent Coordinator, etc.)

I should be stopping the DPM service... correct?

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Correct...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Actually, make that 6 services, only three are running: DPM, AccessManager and Writer.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:29 PM
  • The DPM service is the DPM engine which is responsible to connect to the DPM Database....

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Looks like there are some problems.  Here is the command output:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>DpmSync.exe -restoreDB -Dbloc "c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups\DPMDB.bak"
    DpmSync 2.0 - DPM database synchronization command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Note: The DPM role configuration of this server will also be rolled back during this operation.

Error ID: 465
    Unable to close all connections for detaching the database. Review the error details and try again.

Detailed Error: Only user processes can be killed.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Restart the SQL Server Service and then try again....

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:36 PM
  • BTW,

Copy that dpmdb.bak to a safe location until your DPM is back in the way it was before.

If you run another dpmbackup command it will overwrite the original file.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:40 PM
  • I created a copy of the backup file :-)

Here is what I just finished:

1. Restart the DPM Service because I couldn't restart the SQL (MSDPM2010) service while it was stopped.
    2. After the SQL Service restarted, I stopped the DPM service.
    3. Did a DpmSync -restoreDB to restore the DPM database.
    4. Started up the DPM service.
    5. Did a DpmSync -sync to get everything synchronized.
    6. Started up the DPM GUI, and the protection group is back intact, but all members have "Replica is inconsistent"; probably to be expected.

I'm doing a simple consistency check of a couple of system state members to make sure thy can be backed up successfully.

So, now to do the cleanup again.  I expect I should reverse the names of the DPM servers.  So PrimaryDPMName should be the name of the new DPM server and PSName should be the name of the decomissioned DPM server.  Correct?

- Mark

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Yes, the status you got as "Replica is inconsistent" is expected after a DPMDB is restored.

You mentioned that Get-ProductionServer gave you the expected results. Did the old DPM server showed up in that list?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:59 PM
  • When I ran Get-ProductionServer with the current DPM Server, it showed me all the systems in the (one) protection group.  When I ran it with the decomissioned DPM server, I gon an error saying it was unable to connect, and to make sure the DPM service was running.  This is what I would have expected to see.

- Mark

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:03 AM
  • ok.. yes.. it is expected to fail if you use the decomissioned DPM server. So in the list that you got the decomissioned DPM Server didn't show up?

If not, then run the following for me from SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)

use DPMDB
    select ServerId, NetbiosName, IsDPM, DPMServerId from tbl_AM_Server order by NetbiosName

Does the decomissioned DPM server shows up in that list?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:11 AM
  • The SQL query output shows all the servers in the protection group.  There are two rows whose IsDPM column contains "1".  One is the current server and the other is the decomissioned server.  I expect itis there because I added the (now decomissioned) server to the protection group before I uninstalled DPM to decomission the server.

Probably a poor choice for the order.

Here is the output from the two Get-ProductonServer commands:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Get-ProductionServer forbin.sambelkee.lcl
    Get-ProductionServer : Unable to connect to forbin.sambelkee.lcl. (ID: 948)
    Verify that the DPM service is running on this computer.
    At line:1 char:21
    + Get-ProductionServer <<<<  forbin.sambelkee.lcl
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-ProductionServer], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 948,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.Common.GetProductionServer
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Get-ProductionServer brainiac.sambelkee.lcl

Server Name                Cluster Name              Domain                       Protection State
    -----------                      ------------                     ------                           ----------------
    DEEPTHOT                                                       sambelkee.lcl              HasDatasourcesProtected
    GUARDIAN                                                       sambelkee.lcl              HasDatasourcesProtected
    FORBIN                                                            sambelkee.lcl              HasDatasourcesProtected
    COLOSSUS                                                      sambelkee.lcl              HasDatasourcesProtected
    MARKWIN7                                                      sambelkee.lcl              NoDatasourcesProtected
    ZAPHOD                                                          sambelkee.lcl               HasDatasourcesProtected
    BRAINIAC                                                        sambelkee.lcl               HasDatasourcesProtected
    MOONGLOW                                                    sambelkee.lcl               HasDatasourcesProtected

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Disconnect-DPMServer
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

"MARKWIN7" is the Windows 7 system I am trying to protect.

- Mark

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Can you post the output from the SQL query?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:45 AM
  • Here is the output:

ServerId                                                             NetbiosName   IsDPM DPMServerId
    ------------------------------------                             --------------------------------------------------------
    2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6    BRAINIAC          1        2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    BA1A3F21-555C-4D18-9A48-6F8758C47E60    COLOSSUS        0        2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    3A25C9B8-4584-4FCC-AD75-3E785767A02B    DEEPTHOT        0        2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    980E8A64-CFCF-466A-85ED-6527CEF89BAD    FORBIN             1        2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    56FBAB4C-8B2C-44D0-837F-5020F10C8143    GUARDIAN         0        2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    9D78BCF2-07CF-49AD-8C1A-8C15D09F08DC   MARKWIN7        0       2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    4DF56077-7DF1-4D1A-B7E3-C3F5F7983834     MOONGLOW     0       2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6
    7D6235B7-1049-48A3-965C-919A81C68A52    ZAPHOD            0       2B650B1A-CCD7-4B70-8632-9E22721F0EC6

(8 row(s) affected)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Thanks...

By this output, it tells me that MARKWIN7 is 'controlled' by BRAINIAC and with that you should not receive that error when trying to create protection....

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Sound like one of those "You can't get there from here...but you did" situations. :-)   (The bane of software engineering.  BTW, I did O/S development for 20+ years.)

Would you like me to run the cleanup script posted earlier and try to add the system to the group again?

- Mark

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Yes... here are the correct values .... (advise to backup the DPMDB again...)

SET @PrimaryDPMName = 'forbin.sambelkee.lcl'  --replace with original primary dpm server name
    SET @PSName = 'markwin7.sambelkee.lcl'  -- replace with protected server name you want to cleanup

Lets see if this query finds something else that should be updated...

After that you can try to reprotect MARKWIN7....

let me know how this goes...

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:10 AM
  • Without running the above script, I tried to create a new protection group with just MARKWIN7.  First, I went to the Management tab and did a refresh of MARKWIN7 to make sure the server could still talk to the agent.

When I attempted to create the protection group, it failed in the same place and in the same way as I initially posted.

- Mark

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Oops.  I didn't do a browser refresh soon enough :-)

I ran the SQL script with the two corrected statements.  The results were two messages, saying "(2 row(s) affected)", then "Exiting.."

I then tried to create the protection group and it succeeded!!!!!  The member "Protection Status" is "Replica creation in progress".  So it looks like there was some left over "stuff" in the DPM database.  Time will tell if DPM is able to complete the backup.  This may take a bit as it is going to back up about 800-900 Gb.

I'll have to do a consistency check for the other systems after the DPM DB restore.

I'll post the results when everything is finished; of if there are more problems.

Thank you for all your time and help.

- Mark

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Awsome!!!

Good to know that MARWIN7 is back in DPM Protection business!!!

Looking forward for the results.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I was just able to check the backups.  It took a while, but the backups of both disks succeeded.

So just to summarize, for anyone doing a search...

The root cause of the problem was:

1. Having a Windows 7 system being backed up as a "Server" on an existing DPM Server (DPM A).  This was being done because of the amount of data to backup; about 800 Gb.
    2. Creating a new DPM Server (DPM B).
    3. Adding DPM A to a protection group on DPM B.
    4. Uninstalling (decomissioning) the DPM Server on DPM A.

This left the information regarding the Windows 7 system in the DPM B database in an inconsistant state; because DPM A had been decomissioned.  (If DPM A had not been decomissioned, and remained a secondary DPM Server, this whole "problem" woud exist.)  To remove the incorrect state information for the Windows 7 system required the application of a SQL script (earlier in this thread) to be executed on the DPMDB database on DPM B.

I expect if I had uninstalled the DPM Server software on DPM A prior to adding the system to a protection group on DPM B, this "problem" would have been avoided.  (I.e., switching the order steps 3 and 4 in the list above.)  The system was aded because DPM A was also running IIS to host several web sites which needed to be backed up.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:29 PM