Can't change template data source to Sharepoint Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

One of my users has created a Power BI template using data that is stored in Sharepoint but set the data source to their local sync. Other users now wish to take advantage of this template but are unable to as file path for the data source doesn't exist on their local PC (due to their user name being different). As such I am trying to change the data source to a Sharepoint Folder but when I try to connect to the folder I get the "Access to the resource is forbidden" error. I've cleared and re-entered my credentials in the Global Permissions but the issue is still persisting. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Alternatively if anyone knows how to use environmental variables in a data source please let me know.

Cheers.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:46 AM

Answers

• Here's an article that describes how to connect to files hosted on SharePoint:

https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/04/04/connecting-to-files-in-sharepoint-onedrive-with-power-bi-power-query/

You should contact your SharePoint admin to get the correct access to your site. You need the "Read & Download" access. Only you and your SharePoint admin will be able to troubleshoot why you're getting that "Access to the resource is forbidden".

There are no M functions that return environment variables due to security reasons.

If you need an environment variable, then you can create a web service that will give you that information, but it'll not come directly from an M function, but rather a service that you set up yourself.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:19 AM